1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delta & NW Airlines... Chapter 11!?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by j-raj, Sep 14, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Oh man...what a drag. My father is retired from Delta, it's really sad to see this.

I know that they were in trouble, but here's something that really just P!$$E$ me off:

"The final cash crisis came when the bank that was processing the airline's Visa and MasterCard ticket purchases started holding back money as protection in case of a bankruptcy filing. The airline warned in August that such a move by the bank could cost $650 million by the end of October, straining its already thin cash reserves."

Ok, so, let me see if I've got this right - the airline sold tickets, the purchasers paid with their credit cards, and the CC processing company did not pay Delta the money that was rightfully due them?

:mad:

If that's legal, it's really a sign that the credit card companies run this country.

:scowl:

Outrageous.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm watching FOX News ATL at the moment and they are saying that at the passenger-level there shouldn't be any immediate change, Sky miles too.

I'm guessing that the pilot's union and retirees are going to definitely feel this. I hope that Delta can pull out of this!