Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Delta12LF rattling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KOakley, Jul 24, 2005.

1. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    During last nights' gig, one of the speakers in my Avatar B212 started rattling/farting so loudly that I thought it was in the process of dying. After further investigation, I determined that the speaker was working properly but the cardboard sealing gasket over the surround was starting to break loose and vibrate against the grill. I removed the grill this afternoon and pounded out a few low,LOUD notes while holding the gasket in place with one hand. Everything sounded good as long as I kept pressure on the gasket. My concern now is should I avoid any particular glue types that could possibly damage the rubberized surround when I attempt to repair the gasket. Any reccomdations? Anyone else ever had this or a similar problem?

2. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Alene's white craft glue works well for this. You can also use Elmer's, just don't get any on the exposed part of the surround.

Ralf

3. I used RTV...works very well.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I doubt if the gasket is the problem, more likely the surround has come loose from the frame beneath the gasket. The surround is typically glued to the frame with cyanoacrylate adhesive, ie, superglue. Use a blade to see if the surround is loose. If so remove the driver from the cabinet, use a long superglue applicator nozzle to inject it into the void and place the driver face down on a flat surface while it cures. A gel style superglue works best.

5. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    Thanks for the replies fellows. Bill's idea about the surround is something I will definitely check into more deeply. Wish me luck! Kerry

6. How old is the cab? Is warranty replacement an option? I'd call Dave at Avatar and see what he suggests...

7. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    Well it turns out that Bill was right about the surround having come loose. I guess this is what also made the sealing gasket break free. I just finished gluing everything up and will re-install the speaker tomorrow and give it the ol' smoke test. The warranty is long gone so I have nothing to lose by attempting the repair. Luckily, one of my bandmates has a 2-10,1-15 Carvin rig that I can use for this weekends' gigs if needed.

8. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    Success!!! Thanks Bill. Kerry

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Rock on Bill, thanks for the good tech post!