1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deltalite 2515 any exeriences with these drivers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Mar 28, 2006.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm thinking (as usual) of a pair of small to medium venue passive subs. Basically a 40 to 100 hz box. The Deltalite is of course attractive due to the cost and weight.

I would have about 500 watt's to throw at a pair of them and they would be biamp'ed below my passively crossed trapazoids.

Any thoughts ?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You need to look at the Kappalite 3015LF or something similar.

EDIT: If you are willing to spend about $50 more for something that can go into really small boxes and is rated at 600 watts RMS per driver PM me and I'll give you some graphs and URLs.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'd be interested in that. I looked over at Emmin'em's site and didn't find any info on the Kappa lite. What I did find leads me to believe that the Kappa's are generally 'stringer' than the Delta's. I'm not sure that's a real advantage for me in my particular situation. Unless I invest in a new power amp, I'm only going to be working these with 450 watt's (1 side of a Crown CE-1000) for a pair of cabinets so the ability to handle 600 per driver is somewhat less imprtant than the efficiency of the cab and driver combination ...

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    PM your email and I'll send you datasheet and a couple of other URLs; I think the Kapplite 3015LF is delayed because they forgot a shorting ring or something on the first production run ; }

The thing with subs is if they are a little more up to the job, then at some point they'll be able to stay in your system with no complaints should you [have to] go higher-power.

All of what I'm suggesting is also more efficient, BTW.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I loaded a DL II 2515 into an Omni 15 and it worked quite well. I wouldn't use one in a sub, though, insufficient xmax and xmech.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004

Go to www.usspeaker.com
    Click on 15" Woofer
    Scroll down 8 or 9 speakers past the Eminence Delta Lite II 2515 and you will find the Kappa Lite 3015. Apparently Eminence has not updated their site but do sell them.
    The Kappa Lite has the best ratings of the Neo's
    Larger XMAX of 5.9mm(longer cone excursion)
    Frequency to 40-4khz
    450 watts RMS

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The Kappalite non-LF would be an inferior sub, especially considering the Kappalite LF is [nearly] available. And 5.9 mm xmax isn't much for a direct radiator sub.

8. Eminence Data Sheets

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Has Eminence been having reliability issues with it's neo drivers ?

10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Kappa Lite LF has an XMAX of 9.6mm

11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004

They did with the original Delta Lite 2515...XMAX of 2.9mm

There was a guy who put some 12's (NEO's) in the wrong size cab than they were designed for and had to make some corrections that Eminence suggested by adding ports and derating the speaker to 100 watts.

Another guy said he used two Delta Lite II 's and burnt a voice coil in one. Basically, if you put them in the wrong cab you must derate them. If you run your amp to clipping you heat the voice coils up and the Neo does not have as much mass to cool it as say a typical Ceramic magnet of 80-120 oz. would have. So yes, they are not as forgiving when it comes to heat.

12. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    How would the Kappa lite-3015 sound in a Leslie 122? The Leslie 122 has a 5.0 cu. ft. vented box. Both Mids and Lows interacting at the sametime. Will the Xmax interfer with the mids? The Leslie is modified with a 250watt amp and that should push the kappa lite.
    KAPPA LITE-3015

SPECIFICATIONS

Nominal Basket Diameter 15" / 381mm
    Impedance 8 ohms
    RMS Power Rating 450 Watts
    Program Power Rating 900 Watts
    Frequency Response
    40Hz - 4kHz
    Sensitivity (1W/1m)
    100.8dB
    Voice Coil Diameter
    3" / 76.2mm
    Gap Height .365" / 9.27mm
    Magnet Weight 11 oz.
    Max. Crossover Frequency
    4kHz
    Rec. Enclosure Volume(Vented) 1.8-5.1cu. ft./51-144 Liters

MOUNTING INFORMATION
    Overall Diameter 15.32" / 389.1mm
    Bolt Circle Diameter 14.56" / 369.8mm
    Baffle Cutout Diameter 14.0" / 356.4mm
    No. Of Mounting Holes 8
    Mounting Hole Diameter 0.28" / 7mm
    Overall Depth 6.8" / 173mm
    Net Weight 7.9 lbs. / 3.6kg.
    Shipping Weight 10.1 lbs. / 4.6kg.

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
    Resonant Frequency (fs) 45 Hz
    Impedance (Re) 5.27 ohms
    Coil Inductance (Le) 0.64mH
    Electromagnetic Q (Qes) .36
    Mechanical Q (Qms) 6.7
    Total Q (Qts) .34
    Compliance Equivalent Vol. (Vas) 153 Liters/5.4cu. ft.
    Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 5.9mm
    BL Factor (BL) 18.6 T-M
    Surface Area of Cone (Sd) .0856 m2

13. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004

Looks like you answered your own question with the information you posted above. Go for it!