Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deltron 3030... best hip hop album ever?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hateater, Jan 18, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    In my opinion- yes. What do you guys think?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It is up there with the best.

it really broke new grounds with it's level of sophistication, in the beats, the story, and the rhymes.

Del is an amazing rapper, with a lot of flavor and soul.

Automator is a brilliant producer.

and kid Koala is a Turntablist of the highest caliber

It is a very good album

I would place it on my top 10 easily.

REcommended cuts for those wanting to feel some of it...
    "positive contact"
    "virus"
    "time keeps on slipping"
    "battlesong"

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I somehow knew you would say that :p

I reccomend all that you stated +

Things you can do
    &
    Mastermind

4. It's pretty awesome, but it's no Dr. Octagonecologyst.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really liked 3030 and Things You Can Do.

I also like a bunch of Del's other stuff, like Proto Culture and Jaw Gymnastics.

But 3030 is way, way cool.

6. Its up there with Nia-Blackalicious, Roots come alive- the roots, and quality control-J5. Those are probably my favprite hip hop cds.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like Do you want more?!?! more than roots come alive, but yeah, they are both good.

I'm not a big fan of phrenology though, has some good cuts, but overall it just feels less organic than their past stuff.

Brendan, Proto culture is a great track :D I love it! del is such a nerd.

Del is working on a new album currently, I don't know much about it, but I read an interview with him and he was talking about how important it is for him to learn the roles of different players in a band, for instance, he's writing basslines, so he went out and bought a bunch of bass instructional books and read through them.

Del's first album, 'I wish my brother george was here' is a FUNKY disc, produced by george clinton, it really breaks grounds as far as hip hop is concerned, clever, playful raps, with great production, a lot like paul's boutique actually.

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I haven't heard much of Delton, but I'm a big fan of Kid Koala.

I'm kind of with Peter for the moment, Dr. Octagonecologyst is a hard act to follow, that and Labor Days

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    labor days! such a great album, have you heard Aesop's latest? bazooka tooth? it's really good too, but it's really dark, and far heavier than I expected, but it still kicks ass.

10. deltron 3030 is way cool.

other favorites of mine include beastie boys - check your head (if that can be considered hiphop, anyway) and a tribe called quest - a low end theory. great stuff.

11. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Hmmm, hard to pick one. But I can narrow it down to three.

The Roots - Illadelph Half-life
    Erykah Badu - Baduism
    D'angelo - Voodoo

The Erykah Badu and D'angelo are probably considered more R&B than hip hop, but not in my book.

12. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Top 5 for me.
    Has anybody heard Deep Puddle Dynamics though ?
    Features Dose One, Sole, Slug, Eyedea. Very intelligent. Very dark as well.
    Not many people seem to like Dose One as much as I do, though... maybe a bit weird :)

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Have you guys ever heard Dalek? Curious what you all think about "from the filthy...."

14. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I dig that album. Most of the stuff off Ipecac you can't go wrong with.
    Pretty experimental in terms of melodies/beats in the typical stylings of Ipecac. It's definitely a refreshing alternative to a lot of the drivel out there.

15. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Dose One is sick! I heard him about 4 years ago and eas really impressed.

16. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I haven't had a chance to see him. My brother actually hung out with him a few times, though. His producer is top notch too. From what I understand he actually plays the beats live on his MPC !
    Funny thing about Dose is he actually talks like he raps in terms of his voice :D .

17. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I admit I haven't listened to too much Deltron, but what I heard was really cool.

Just as a suggestion, I'd reccomend Alfred Howard and the Q23 Orchaestra's "Kurda" CD. I got it off a floormate of mine and it's AWESOME stuff. Just be forewarned, it's quite political throughout, so that may affect your opinion of it.