Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deluxe 5 project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I've just started a new project to build a Deluxe 5. Here's the current specs:

Deluxe 5 body - AAA Quilted Maple top on Swamp Ash, currently routed J/J but will most likely be re-routed to accept custom wood covers for a set of TBD Nordstrands

5-pc Maple/Rosewood asymmetric neck with Rosewood fretboard and 6150 nickel/silver frets

Black hardware, thru-body bridge, 18v pre-amp (TBD Bart, U Retro, or Lane Poor)

[​IMG]

This will be a back seat project, as I have several others that are being worked for friends. Updates to follow as things progress.

All the best,

R

* edited to direct link image

2. looks nice.. very nice quilt... that will be a sweet bass.

3. Beautiful burst. Is that some of your finish work?

4. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I wish it was some of my own finish work. But alas, it is the outstandingly fantastic work done in the Warmoth shop. I have quite some ways to go to get mine looking so nice ... but the gap is closing. The finish work coming out of the Warmoth shop rivals anything being done by Lull, Sadowsky, and Lakland for sure.

This is also my last Warmoth body purchase for the forseeable future, as I am in the process of transitioning to all in-house made body designs. Of course I still have a couple bodies on order that are yet to be delivered, so there will be a couple more 'in progress' threads to come.

I'll continue to use Warmoth necks until I have a established a proven quality consistency that I feel comfortable with letting out the door. I know they're pricier than others, but I haven't found a better aftermarket neck.

R

5. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I'm also wrapping up a Spalt Maple over Alder J/J 4-string. Wish the lighting was a little better this afternoon, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has a Sadowsky humcancelling J/J set running thru an 18v U Retro Deluxe. The neck is 5-pc Maple/Pau ferro with a Pau Ferro fretboard, corian nut, and 6150 nickel/silver frets. It also sports a set of black Hipshot HB6Y's with an Ultralite de-tuner and Badass II bridge.

Just need to add a set of strings and give this a set-up and it's ready to roll! :hyper:

I should also have an image of a similar QM topped Sunburst P/J before the end of the weekend.

All the best,

R

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    that's a nice looking spalt bass. The spalt and the black hardware and binding really work well toghether. I had a similar bass as a five string. You gotta put some black beauties on it though.

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That gave me huge Warmoth GAS.

8. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Spot on! I already have a set of DR Black Beauties that will be adorning this bass. I thought it would be the perfect compliment to the other black details.

R

9. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I finally completed this bass just this morning! I'd been waiting over two months for the gold series/parallel/single-coil switch to come in, and it arrived earlier this week.

Here's a close-up of the front side where you can clearly see the flame maple thru the translucent midnight wine finish. I'll update these images when I get one that's better quality.

[​IMG]

The p/u's are both Nordstrand - one is a NJ4SE humcancelling J, and the other is a MM4.4 quad coil that is splittable. These are running thru an 18v U Reto Deluxe.

Here's a full frontal that reveals the quilt maple veneer on the P-style neck. It's difficult to tell in these images, but that is really a sweet ebony fretboard.

[​IMG]

I think this bass is heading off to visit a friend in Dallas sometime in the next week or so.

If you haven't heard a Nordstrand thru a U Retro, you definitely need to seek one out for a listen.

All the best,

R

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  11. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I've gotten a little side tracked from the Deluxe 5 the past few days, and started another bass while I wait on a few parts to come in.

[​IMG]

This is an alder P body that will sport a Nordstrand NP-4, Hipshot tuners/de-tuner, tortoise pick guard, and a J-style birdseye/maple block/bound neck compliments og the fine folks at Warmoth. This will be my first passive bass project.

More on this as it nears completion.

R