Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deluxe Active Jazz, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, May 5, 2001.

1. the MIM kind. anybody have experience with these? how are the pups? do they have the hum problem that seems to plague standard MIM jazzes?

i got really intrigued by the giveaway, which unfortunately got cancelled. i'm gonna try one out as soon as i can, but i'd like ta hear from anyone who likes or doesn't like them, hopefully somebody here owns one.

2. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I have the Deluxe Active Jazz V. It's a pretty good bass, actually. First let me say that I replace the nut and had the frets milled as soon as I got it, and it made a world of difference. My only complaints are that the dreaded dead spot is there on the g string and the fact that it's so damn heavy. The PUs are the fender noiseless jazz bass PUs (in fact, the PUs and pre are identical to the ones used in the American Jazz Deluxes), and are the least hummy single coils I've heard. For the money, this is a hard bass to beat since it's got Marcus tone by the buttload AND 5 strings.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive got a MIM Deluxe Jazz 4 string and its a nice Bass.Good feel,good sound,no hum.Only change I made was a Badass 2 bridge and a set of D'addario Slowounds.Well worth the money,imo.

4. cool. i currently have my sights set on a reverend, but i'm looking at what to consider if i can't quite come up with that much...

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't really like Fender but the MIM Dlx Jazz is, IMO, the best fender bass for the money. It has the pup's & pre-amp as the older USA Dlx basses.(I don't think they have the 8 pole noiseless, but have 4 larger poles instead) It sounds GREAT!!!!! The only thing I would change waould be the tuning machines. The MIM machines aren't too good. I could live with the bridge but would probally change it to a BadAss II cause I'm a modifying nut!!!

6. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    FYI, my MIM Jazz Deluxe 5 came with REAL Gotoh tuners, not cheap knock-offs. I don't know if the 4 is the same way or not.

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    IMO, I would look for a used American Deluxe Jazz instead if price is the concern. They seem to come up on eBay regularly and sell for reasonable prices.

I currently own the American Deluxe Jazz 5 and it stacks up to my Steinberger XL and Alembic Essence. Not that it's better than the other two, but it creates a distinct, quality tone that's different from the other two basses.

Finally, go with the maple fretboard if possible.

Best of luck,

Bones

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The 4 string comes w/the same tuners as the MIM STD jazz. Not the best tuners. I don't know why they don't put Gotoh's in all the MIM basses.

For the money, the MIM DLX is still better value. I've seen USA DLX's on eBay from $750 & up. The MIM DLX 4 is about $529.00

9. I have the five string version and I have been very happy with it. I plan on having some work done on it in the future since the setup on it wasnt that great. I paid $539.99 for it at Mars and it is one of the best deals I have ever found

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've got an in-between opinion, based on my year long ownership of a MIM Deluxe 5 J.

The electronics and hardware were actually very good, and the bass played nicely from the factory. A bit of set-up work and it played even better. Unfortunately, the B string simply SUCKED. Floppy, indistinct, sloppy, farty, and no matter how hard I worked at it, the intonation on the dang thing never was right (actually, I was never completely satisfied with the intonation overall....I believe there were some "issues" with the fret placement :eek: ).

If you get a good deal on a 4 string, go for it, I believe with some work it can be an excellent bass. I'd shy away from the 5's, there are better ones out there, and for less money (MTD Kingston 5 comes to mind immedately).

11. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    All of the Deluxe 5s need some special care in the b string department. What I found out was that using slightly heavier tapered strings solved most of the problems. The fretwork is a bit sketchy on some of the MIM Jazzes, but the ones that are on are quite beautiful instruments. The b on my Fender is almost as good as the one on my Reverend.

As far as the MTDs go, I would not hesitate to buy one if that was the sound that I needed. There's quite a big difference in versatility and fundamental tone between the two basses. I have one of each, so trust me on this.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have an MIM Dexluxe Active Jazz that I use for a back up bass..I think for the money and that overall price range they are the best available. To me they have a richer, deeper, and so much fuller sound than its counterparts. Yes they are a little bigger and heavier than others in that price range but that extra gerth is what helps give it a big beefy tone. The pickups are as quiet as a church mouse too. At least on mine they are. This bass also has nice mids as well. and pretty crisp highs. Only had one problem with it and that was that the wood in the head stock somehow cracked. But Fender has since replaced the neck and it sounds and plays as good as new. Play one for awhile and compare them to the others out there, and let your ears be the judge.

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ive seen freeman use fender jazzes in a bunch of videos and live. i dont know where you saw him using a btb.

14. update: i tried an american active jazz, since the local GC didn't have any mexis and the electronics are the same. let me just say that i love the sound and the versatility. the pickup blend plus the 3 band EQ yields loads of options. i wish i could get my hands on a mexi though.

checked out the fender website too, and i just can't get over how great these things look in white. has anyone noticed that all the sound samples for the jazz basses are slap (except for the jaco model of course)? what's with that?

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

sounds like its a pick being used on most of them..i could be wrong