1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deluxe Active Jazz V (MIM) ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fetusyolk, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    I've lurked the forum and i can't find anything to my questioning needs, so apologies if this has been done before.

I've recently had a hankerin' to get a hold of a 5'er, and got somewhat hooked on this Deluxe MIM. Theyve got this labor day thing goin on that i'm sure you're all aware of, and its gone down $200! so i've decided to go down and get it on monday. but first, some questions.

i've heard mixed things about the bridge, what's the real difference in playability/sound between this bridge, and the MIA bridge?

personally i actually like the sound of the MIM i tried over the MIA they had. Any others agree with me when it comes to this?

and these tuners seem different, theyre not the generic fender kind, and dont have the same look either, on guitarcenter it shows this, but on the fender website this isn't even an option, what's going on there?

one more that might sound rediculous, how do i know right off that it is an 08, do they even sell older models new at gc?

2. justincest

justincest

May 1, 2008
    As of now this is my main gigging bass, in sunburst finish. It has Gotoh tuners and it stays in tune VERY well. The only problem with the bridge is the saddles move alot, easily modded with a Badass Bridge V.

I aswell changed the preamp and pickups to an audere/quarter pounder pickups combo. But the stock wasn't necesarrily that bad, and you said you liked the sound of it.

Is it really 200? I bought mine for 700 new.

You're talking about the Fender version right?

Pictures before I modded it:

Attached Files:

3. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008

yeah, it's fender, what i meant to say was it is down 200 dollars in price, so it is 500 right now.

4. justincest

justincest

May 1, 2008
    Definitely a good deal then man. If you have any questions about it, pm me :)

5. hstingrayh

hstingrayh

Sep 29, 2007
    Atlanta.GA
    Make sure the neck is ok and that's it.I play an American Deluxe,but there is no big difference in sound between mine and the Mexican version of that bass.Only things you can see are the price and difference in number of frets.Mine one looks as same as the Mexican,with same Gotoh tuners and all tuners placed on one side.

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Check it out. They're good basses. Just like most other basses (or shoes, or jeans, or cars), give it a good go and see if the feel, weight, tone, and so on works for you.

7. I have one as well. Just a hint of noise when standing by the TV. No big deal really. I really love this bass because it would have cost me at least the difference in price between the standard and the deluxe to upgrade the parts.

I have no problems with the bridge and she stays in tune no matter what.

8. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, that happens sometimes with the TV or monitor. I had one of the '97 models that I only sold b/c I had just bought two basses and had to thin a couple out.

I may end up with another one day.

9. Should have a maple option.Would be the best Jazz Bass should this happen.

10. I was thinking the same thing but the Pao is growing on me. I used to think it looked dried out and dead. I think my fingers are oiling it because the more I play the shinier the whole neck gets. I really dig shiny necks by the way...