1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deluxe Jazz Bass question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnuffdaCrimeDog, Mar 16, 2009.

1. SnuffdaCrimeDog

SnuffdaCrimeDog

Jul 24, 2006
    I recently posted about a problem I was having on my deluxe fender jazz. The mid control or small knob was not functioning probperly which led me to discover a completely destroyed pot. Since then Ive had the bass repaired a new pot was installed and the bass works great. However, I am now intriguied by the inner electronics of my bass and just have a few question about parts replacements. Now obviously because my original pot fell apart a new one was need to make the tone work again, I understand that perfectly. Now I have active electronics in my bass so underneath my volume knob is a samll circuit board. My question is are those readily replacable like potentiometers, and were would I go about ordering one(this is all metaphorically speaking of course, my bass is in fine playing condition, Im just curious)? The repair ended up costing me like 35 dollars, and while thats not an extreme amount of money, I try to save money the best I can. Anyway basically I just wanted to know if a part like the small circuit board under my volume control is something that can be purchased from a retailer and be installed myself.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ordering that exact board might be a problem, depending on the year of the bass. Fender may well help you out, but they would charge an arm and a leg for it; Most folks would replace it with an aftermarket preamp, I think (there are many to choose from).

3. SnuffdaCrimeDog

SnuffdaCrimeDog

Jul 24, 2006
    Would it matter what type of a pre-amp it would be because under the parts diagram on the fender website it just says circuit board.