Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deluxe Jazz vs Deluxe P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    I love both the deluxe precision and the jazz. Which one do you prefer and why? If any of you are owners of these basses please post pics of it. Also, im a big flea fan. Which one is more capable for the flea like sound?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like em both. Wouldn't buy one , but that just me. I prefer the the deluxe P. It's got the double humbucking J pick up in the bridge. I found that you can get it to sound kind of Music Man'ish if you play w/the EQ & have the bridge pick up alone. Hey why not just save the headache of deceiding & buy both. You only live once!!! ;)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have one of each, although older ('93 Deluxe P, '94 Deluxe Jazz V), each with lace sensors. I prefer the J, just because I like the J sound. The P doesn't get quite the bite on the bridge pickup. However, I've played one of the new P Deluxes, and it's much better than before ... better pickups, better construction. I'd say it's about a toss-up between the two now.

Finally, if I was going to buy one or the other, I wouldn't. I'd get the Roscoe Beck V, which I also already have, and it leaves the other two blowin' in the weeds, as my 3-year-old daughter would say.

4. bottomman

bottomman

Jan 23, 2001
    I currently play a Fender Jazz Deluxe and get all the tones I need. As far as the Flea sound, I get the Tim sound (Myself) and thats good enough for me.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, OK. I went down to the big GC sale today and played a four-string Precision Deluxe. It's even better than I remembered it. That big humbucker by the bridge really gets a nice J tone. So now I can recommend the P deluxe, especially if you like the P sound too, which was also excellent. Too bad it was a four string .... if it'd been a five, I'd be sittin' here trying to explain it all to my bride (of 19 years).

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The P Deluxe will not get a Flea sound. At least not in my experience, and I've gigged many times with mine. It also sounded a lot different in the store than when I got it on stage. I think it has a good deep P bass sound with the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup looks a hell of a lot more impressive than it sounds. There's not much bottom behind it - sounds really thin, but it cuts. More Jaco sounding than Flea sounding.

I recently checked out a Mexican Jazz Deluxe and thought it was great. It's a lot cheaper, and has the same electronics as the MIA. I don't know what the big deal is about MIA Fenders as the craftsmanship on mine is pretty shoddy. I think the tuning pegs are better on the Mexican than the MIA and the rest of the bass seemed the same to me.

7. Sorry Munji, the p deluxe does come in a 5, it was reviewed in Bassplayer, so what excuse will you have to tell yourself now?

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I know it comes in a five. And if the one at GC had been a five, it'd be in my practice room right now.

9. sorry munji, i thought you mentioned that it didnt some in a 5, my bad

Brian, feeling stupid cause he ASSuMEd