1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"deluxe" (or die-cast) tuners on squier/SX fender-style basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gear_Junky, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I once did this on MIM Jazz I had back in the 90's - I came across a set of deluxe die-cast tuners on clearance and liked the look, so I put them on. I vaguely remember that it wasn't an exact drop-in (you could see the impressions of the stock tuners on the back of the headstock), but they functioned and looked well.

I admit: this is purely for the blingy look, I don't see an advantage otherwise, but I like the look. Any advice on what's the most compatible?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

005-6025-000.

To clarify: I like the die-cast key part of it, really don't care how the machine itself looks.

2. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Bump

3. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Me no likey... I don't like the new style Fender machines either.
    I prefer the vintage type big back, open gears.

I put a set of wilkos on my MiM P bass - they are copies of the 70's fender type.

4. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    There are some no-name tuners with a die-cast clover key frequently seen on ebay. I don't think they are replacement tuners for any particular type. The one in the picture you showed is a Fender/Schaller deluxe lightweight key, which is discontinued. It fits on heads prepared for the Schaller BM light machines (they have a different key, M4 style), as well as Fender basses (pre-07 US Deluxe, pre-08 Am. Std.). The die-cast clover leaf design comes from the Fender Elite series (introduced in 1983) and were otherwise identical to the Am Std. bass tuning gear from 1986-on (M4S-style) and was produced (later used on the Deluxe series) until 1998 when the Deluxe lightweight machines were introduced.

5. bassplayr009

bassplayr009

Jun 12, 2013
    If anyone has a set of these, I would love to have them