Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deluxe P-Bass Help Please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jim Ingraham, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Heres my sad story:meh: The bridge pickup in my Deluxe P developed a very bad hum when soloed. So i took it apart and one of the 2 coils had died. Its still under warranty so i took down the street where i got it, they sent it off to the Fender Authorized guy and there it's sat for 3 months now!!!:confused: Apparently Fender doesnt have the part, its backordered.. Im goin nuts..I miss my P-BASS!!!..there seems to be no end in sight, Fenders not sayin when there getting them (soon they say).. ive bought a new head and new speakers during this time and i wanna hear my P thru it dammit.. Sorry for the rant
    Anyway... does anyone know what else will fit in that route?..any one replaced there Deluxe P bridge pup with something that fits without more routing and sounds Good?? If i can find one i like i can put it in myself and screw the warranty..at least ill have my bass back. thanks

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Is it a 4 or a 5 string? If it's a 4 string any standard P-bass replacement pickup (Dimarzio, EMG, Bill Lawrence, etc.) should fit right in.

Not sure about the 5 string version though.

Are you absolutely sure that the dealer you bought the bass from did send it in? Did they send in the whole bass or just the pickup? IMHO, they should pull the pickup out of another bass and put that one in and then they should deal with fender themselves for a replacement for an unsold bass. Just my $0.02 though....

I would suggest contacting Fender directly and see if you are firm but polite if they can get something done for you.

Hope this helps,

3. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Bass Kahuna, thanks for replying.
    Its not the standard P pickup that broke. Its the bridge pup Fender calls it "Humbucker Dual Jazz". When you take the cover off it looks like 2 Jazz pickups side by side. In fact the first pup Fender sent was a single standard Jazz pickup and the repair guy said it didnt work, you apparently have to have the whole thing. It didnt go back to Fender by the way, just to the local guitar guy who i guess is Fender certified. Also the local shop doesnt have any Deluxe's in right now so no help on that score. If i dont hear anyhting in the next day or two ill call Fender although im guessing they'll just send me back to the dealer.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I wouldn't do it for my customers DEPENDING on the legnth of time he's had the bass. If it brand new (a few weeks) definately. Six months is a different story though. IMO of course ;)

Hey Jim, an insurance guy told me once when I was waiting on a settlement check that "the squeeky wheel gets the grease". I say call them at least once daily and bug 'em. If nothing else, they'll get tired of hearing from you, and hopefully hurry up. But, if the part just aint there, it aint there.:)

5. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    "But, if the part just aint there, it aint there"

Im afraid that is the case. Which is why id like to start exploring alternatives. I was hoping maybe someone else had the same problem or just decided to swap out pups for a different sound. But i dont know what will fit. Most pickup manufacturers websites ( with the exception of Bartolini) dont post technical specs such as exact sizes, and if i find one that fits, what'll sound like??
    Mostly Im just frustrated caus i love this bass and i miss it. Ive never had to have a bass repaired before, maybe 3 months isnt that long a time. seems like it to me though:meh:

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Try contacting other repair shops, both near and far. They may just have the part in inventory you need. Fender's website may have a repair shop search. Try that. Shipping is worth it to get your baby back.;)

7. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Great News!!!!! music store just called to tell me my bass is fixed:D :p ;) Fender overnited the pickup into them and they stuck it this morning (probably as we were posting about it) and im on my way to pick it up!! Thanks all for your help.:bassist:

8. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Its a special design pickup. I believe MEC makes a dual jazz humbucker. Which might fit, but MEC pickups are not cheap. I think you might have to wait for the part to come in man. If not im sure these has to be a 3rd party pickups out there.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Late, but the only people I know that make a straight replacement is Rio Grande Pickups.

10. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i now you probabnly have your pickup back but i'm sure aero pickups could make one for you and it would likely sound better than the fender one

the guys down at aero are geniouses (spell?)