Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deluxe P-Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deynn, Nov 17, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    This bass appears to be merely a combination of a Standard P and a Standard J. Am I correct, or is there something more added to this bass?

2. That’s about it.
    Jazz neck and bridge pup. P body (alder) and P split pup. Standard bridge and tuners chromed not nickel. Volume, pan and tone controls
    The anodised scratch plate is the only non-standard part as per their RI.
    Great playable bass with good usable sounds though.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Then I am wondering...WHY...Fender charges almost $200 more for this bass. If all it is...is a combination of MIM parts....then shouldn't it cost the same as a MIM P, MIM J?

4. Before I bought mine I checked it out and was told that it was made from U.S. parts but assembled in Mexico.

I must admit that the build quality on mine is as good as any Fender that I've owned, MIA or MIJ.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    MIM Standard P and J basses do not use alder bodies (they're poplar), do not come with gig bags, do not have anodized pickguards, etc. That's what you're paying $200 for.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Okay....so there IS some difference...:)

Thanks!!

7. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    It doesn't come with the standard MIM bridge -- it has a US vintage bridge -- the kind with the threaded saddles.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Coincidentally, I got a wild hair tonight and decided to re-string my '93 P-bass Deluxe. It's a nice little bass (my only 4-string), but its original neck looked like a Mobius strip. It sat for a long time after I got my first 5-string, a Jazz Deluxe V. At that time I was playing through a Peavey 115 Combo. Eventually, I ended up with my Eden stuff, but I wasn't playing the P-bass then. I finally got tired of having a semi-useless bass sitting around, and I went through the hassle and expense of getting a new Fender neck for it. (That's a whole different story, but now you can just buy them off the wall at GC.)

So when I had the new (1998) neck put on it, I said what the heck, let's put flats on it. So they put some Fender No. 3 rebar on it (very stiff strings) and I played it a little bit through the Eden rig, but wasn't impressed at all. So it's been sitting for another year or so until tonight. I put some new GHS Boomers on it (I prefer D'Addario Slowwounds, but I just had these sitting around).

DANG! This bass sounds bitchen now through my D-210XLT. I played about a dozen songs with it, and it was kinda fun. I haven't played a 4-string for four or five years. It isn't as hard as I thought to go back to four. This is really a nice looking bass, too ... natural swamp ash, no pickguard, stacked black knobs and Lace Sensor PJ pickups. I think I'll play it at some gigs now. The Bonnie Raitt stuff sounds real nice with it.

So what's my point? Nothing, really.

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ...or, perhaps: Never throw anything away?