Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deluxe P Special Pickguard Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc H., Oct 9, 2003.

1. Marc H.

Marc H. Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Bucks County, PA
    My deluxe P-Special came with the Gold Anodized guard. I'm considering relacing it and wanted to know if any one knew if these guards are the same specs as the standard MIM Precision guards?

Thanks,

Marc

2. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    A word of caution, I replaced mine with the moto pearloid fender pickguard which looked real nice, but it hummed like crazy. Fender told me that the anoldized guard is used as the ground between the control pots. My tech had to put shielding on the back of the pick guard.

3. Marc H.

Marc H. Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks Mike.

I've got one of those Pickguard shields which should do the same thing!

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I replaced mine with a standard p-bass pickguard from Warmouth. I didn't have any hum problems, but they include the shielding on the back.

5. If I wanted to replace my current plastic P-Bass guard with a metal one, would I have any insulation/earthing problems?

6. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    i put one of those anodized guards from the deluxe p-special on my amer. series p, so i imagine they will take a standard p bass pickguard.

"If I wanted to replace my current plastic P-Bass guard with a metal one, would I have any insulation/earthing problems?"

no. the metal acts as the shielding.

7. I personally find the "gold" pickguards to be ugly...

shame,I really like the bass too:meh:

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Hey Marc- any interest in selling the gold anodized pickguard?

Or, if youre interested Ive got a white, black, or tortise pickguard I'd be willing to swap for the gold one.

9. Yes, they are the same guards.

;) Treena