Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deluxe Zone=Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bas_anton, May 19, 2004.

1. I´ve been thinking about this for a while. Is the Zone bass some sort of copy of a Cirrus? The pickups and the control layout looks the same. And the wood combinations looks familiar. Anyone else noticed this? Just my thoughts.

2. I meant the American Deluxe Zone Bass

3. you know, i had never even considered that. but now that you mention it, i can really see the comparison. maybe that explains why i liked the zone i played once. there are far too many good basses out there. how can i decide which one to buy?

robb.

4. It's not a complete copy. It's a bolt-on, right?

5. Copy wasn´t the right word. But I think Fender was influenced by Peavey´s Cirrus bass. I own a Cirrus5 and think it´s a great bass, so I can understand Fender if they "copied" it. ;)

6. i already want a cirrus, so between this and adrian's "i like fender" thread, i'm ready to add the american deluxe zone 4 to my list! why did you do that to me?

robb.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    When I look at both basses, I see no more similarities than what exists between the Cirrus and many other basses. Granted I think both are excellent basses, I just wouldn't draw that comparison. If you post pics of both basses together you will see what I mean.

Dan

8. [​IMG] [​IMG]

hmm...similar shape (clearly not jazz-derived), walnut top, similarly placed humbuckers and knobs, gold hardware, similar double cutaways, USA made...

no, i guess you're right. they bear no resemblance whatsoever. :eyebrow:

the only strong differences are the headstock (2+2 v. inline4) and that the horns on the cirrus are more "open" than on the zone.

robb.

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

I think if you were to apply that logic ( :rollno: ) then you could say that the Cirrus is really just a p-bass derivative. I think that the Cirrus with its longer body and longer horns looks less like a precision than does the Zone.

Dan

10. well, conversely one could also notice how general the similarities listed would sound without the pictures: "walnut top, similarly placed humbuckers and knobs, gold hardware, similar double cutaways, USA made..."

Those aren't really distinguishing features, not to mention that within one post you described them as having a "similar shape" and "similar double cutaways" then go on to describe the cirrus as having more open horns. The horns are completely different, look at them. Regardless of what fender does to their bodies, most retain the tried and true form, with only slight changes like skinnier horns and slimmer offsets in the body.

Look at where the horns join the neck, look at the top body line of the cirrus and they sorta lose that quick, at-a-glance resemblance to eachother. Not to mention in real life, as opposed to online pictures I think the differences would be much more apparent.

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well put. In real life, where I have played them side-by-side they do look quite different. Not to mention play and feel different with different strong qualities unique to each bass.

Dan

12. minutiae.

compare a cirrus to a candy apple red jazz or a rickenbacker, or even a more traditional p. you're telling me the dual-humbucker, five-knob, walnut top american deluxe zone does resemble the cirrus in that light? what about when compared to a warwick or a spector? how about a roscoe?

they're certainly not the same bass, but i see the AD zone like anton bas presented it -- potentially a cirrus-inspired version of a p bass. there are enough similarities that it is quite a reasonable comarison. i don't think anyone, when examining the canon of design details would say they're exactly the same, but compared to much of what is out there, they are quite similar. which is the original assertion.

robb.

13. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Based on the color sheme and figuration of the wood you could also draw comparisons to some models of Alembics and other boutique basses. I think we should stop at the fact that they are both precision derivatives, with the Zone being the better looking of the two ;) .

Dan

14. Better looking?!?!

:mad:

That's my -unbiased- opinion... :D

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

:D :D

16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    So If I put two humbucking pups, some walnut, and gold on my butt, is peavey or fender gonna sue me?

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Neither. It's all been done many time before. If you make an exact replica of the body shape and the headstock then you have issues.

Dan