Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter 201 and Stewart 1.2 or QSC PLX-1602?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodboy, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for all the posts about using a separate pre- and power amp versus an integrated head. The consensus was to go with separates, the direction I was leaning. I listened to the Preamp Shootout, and really liked the Demeter 201 sound the best. My wife could hear the difference, even over my $59 Radio Shack computer speakers. Now I am narrowing the power amp search to the Stewart 1.2 or the QSC PLX-1602. I have an Ampeg BXT-410HL 4 ohm cab. (Great cab, by the way.) I plan on bridging the poweramp and really can't see the possibility of adding another cab. This mother is big enough!! The BXT-410 is rated at 600 watts RMS. Have any of you tonemeisters out there gone through a similar choice, and what did you end up with?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

if you plan on using every drop of 1200 watts from the Stewart, i say dont do it!

running the Stewart near top wattage will cause lots of heat that may trigger the automatic shutoff while you're playing. the variable fan on the QSC is much more reliable, and just as powerful.

but if you plan on using the Stewart in a quieter setting, and not push as much power, then the Stew is great. that's what i do. no annoying fans on my small venue gigs. in this app, i set the volume only at noon, so i'm not pushing it all that hard.

but the Stew has shutdown on me, when i first used it, at an outdoor gig i was doing. really annoying and scary. thankfully, the DI out to the PA from my preamp saved me.

if you really need lots of power, but in a single rack space, try the Peavey DPC1400x. variable fan in a single rack space. my high volume power amp.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I would be comparing the Stewart 1.6 to the 1602 and the 1.6 has a cooling fan.

I've gotta go with Joker on this. I've heard a rig that included the Peavey 1400 and it was plenty loud and with no issues. The guy had an Alembic F-1X going into an Epifani T-210 and it sounded heavenly.

You are on the right track with the Demeter 201.
    ;) I run my 1602 with either the Demeter or the Alembic.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Joker and Jerry are right on it.

Definitely compare the Stew 1.6 to the 1602. I have both and prefer the 1.6 (mainly for the dual mono operation) but the 1602 is a good amp, too. Personally, I don't have a need for a lower powered Stewart without a fan. I also own the 2.1.

5. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Never would I have considered the Peavey 1400. Just prejudice, I guess. I never even knew it existed. I am not snobbish, I am just after the fattest, cleanest, richest sound. If the Peavey can do it, right on. Thanks for setting my sights a little higher on the Stewart 1.6.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IMHO, lol
    both are great amps but.............
    upgrading to a 2.1 or to the next plx might be a good move
    you're gonna spend a lotta money anyway, and the $ per watt exchange is pretty good when getting the next higher model
    headroom is good no?

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Headroom is good, YES! :D