Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter Active Onboard Preamp???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 11, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

has anyone tried one? how's it compare to EMG's and Bartolini's 3 band preamps? thinkin' about yankin' the Bart outta my Elrick.

2. I've heard good things, but never tried one. I know Matt Pulcinella (www.mpguitars.com) offers them in his basses,so maybe he could give youmore feedback.

Why are you thinking about ditching the Bart? I'm in the process of custom-ordering a Curbow, and was planning on the Bart preamp...

Mike

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no but seriously, cause a good online friend said that the Demeter pre had a clearer, hifi sound compared to Bart's more warmer tone and voicing. and i want something like that.

4. Makes sense, though "warmer" rather than "clearer" might work best for my bass! (The Rockwood neck will be plenty "clear" as it is...)

I've forgotten--what are the specs on your Elrick? The one issue with my old wenge-necked Elrick was that it was a bit "dark" sounding, and the current owner dealt with that by replacing the bart pickups with some beautiful wood-topped Aeros.

Mike

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ewwww! i cant stand Wenge.

might have to do with all the badly setup Warwicks i tried at GC. :p but from my experiences, wenge sounds different to me. warm yes, but i cant get past the overly growly tone. almost seems crunchy and biting. like ebony x5. just not smooth enough for me.

my Elrick's got a macassar ebony neck. smooth with just enough bite. its joined together in a set neck style to a singlecut body that's swamp ash and topped with figured crotch walnut (who thinks of these names?).

EQ set flat, overall mine sounds smooth with just enough upper end cut. the pickups make everything warmer, but i like a more glassier, hifi yet smooth tone from my bass. hopefully the demeter will help in that. Lane Poor's j pickups seem like they'd be a perfect match for me, but alas... :(

6. That's right, you got that single-cut one from G Guitars--I should have remembered that! You haven't had it for all that long, though. You might want to live with it for a couple of weeks before mucking about with it. ;)

I found that a little bit of treble boost with the Bart EQ adds a nice bit of bite without getting too harsh or hissy. If you're like me, you prefer to leave the EQ flat, then get dissatisfied when the sound isn't deep enough or bright enough or whatever, and think about swapping pickups or electronics, rather than actually using the EQ. :)
    Mike

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe...

funny you mention that cause i'm thinking of swapping out the Bart J's for a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5's. EQ wise, i do like to keep things flat onboard. but a pre's naturally flat voicing other than its handling of the shaping can make all diff for me. Thanks to a friend on the HC board, the Demeter is said to be clear and glassy. Demeter wins for me.

to be honest, i've never really been a fan of Bart pre's and J pickups. a little vanilla, and just not lively enough for me. hopefully, i can find a nice tone with the Demeter/UltraJazz combo.

8. I can certainly understand that--the Bart stuff is really not what I'd call "lively"! Are you going to have to route for the DiMarzios? The Barts aren't exactly a standard J shape, as I recall...

Anyway, good luck, adn congratulations once again on a sweet bass!

Mike