1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Demeter BEQP-1 preamp query

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    So, I've got this pre in this bass. Used this pre in the past and I like it, but I would like to have a passive bypass switch just in case. Tried various forums and emailing Demeter but nothing from them and I can't find any kind of wiring diagram, and my repair guy is reluctant to start messing with it without more info.

I know it would be a straight-to-jack kinda bypass since this pre has no option for passive operation and that's OK, just would like to have that option.

Anyone have any leads? TIA

2. It would be a simple enough thing to do, with a DPDT switch. You could insert the switch into the output jack leads, connecting the existing preamp signal output leads to one half of the switch, and a duplicate set of pickup leads(just run them parallel to the ones that run to the preamp now) to the other half of the switch, with the jack connected to the center of the switch. This would give you a sort of emergency passive mode, bypassing the pre and all controls and putting the signals from the pickups directly to the jack. No messing with the pre itself required.
    It's a bit hard to tell exactly how to wire it from the pictures I found online as Demeter doesn't seem to have posted a wiring diagram. But it should be a really simple thing to do. You'd unfortunately have to add a switch as there doesn't appear to be a way to replace one of the Dem pots with a pot/switch combo(push/pull).

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Well, that's what I thought as well, and there is already a switch in the pick guard. For some reason he seemed to think it would be more involved.....? Dunno, anyway will pass this along. Thanks.