Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter BSC-1 3x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 26, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Who's got actually has one of these elusive beauties? how's it doing for your tone, good/bad? and where did you get yours? pics of your rig with it?

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I just picked up one of these last week in Austin, Texas at Austin Bass Traders.

I was looking at getting a 310 Epifani but came to find out that Glenn @ ABT had one. So i drove up. This cab is the of all cabs for me. I compared it with the epifani. To my ears there was no comparison. I think what did it for me was the separation of the highs and mids. With the Demeter there was no separation, there was a fluid movement from the lows to the mids to the highs. You cant hear the separation of the highs like you can with most cabs. I think the design of the cab helps with this...coax speaker design. The cab is a little smaller than the epifani and weight is less as well.

The tone of this cab is beautiful. Clarity is what it has. It can handle the low B with ease. If you are in the market for a new cab i would say check this out. Also it is cheaper than all the other 310's. This cab has been around for a while. There just hasnt been any right ups on it and they dont advertise much. When people look for a cab i think alot of people look for the name and when it comes to tone i look for tone not name.

Check it out. To me this cab has fulfilled my quest from now to the end of my days. The only thing better would be to have two of them.

I will have pics soon.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx for the review Stroy,

i've been hoping you chime in. how's the weight? is it managable? i used an Aguilar GS210, and it was a weighty 62 lbs., but this was only a 2x10. how did it feel to the others? is it really 63 lbs.?

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Allright, Joker, that's it!
    I 'tol ju bout this all the way back in the days of the late, great, LA Bass Exchange!!
    Now I must Insist that you buy this cabinet!
    If you are not completely, 100% satisfied, simply ship it to me here in LA. I'll not only take it off your hands & end your suffering, but I will personally
    tell James Demeter that I am playing through it and it better perform! How's that?
    :D ;)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LOL,

i just talked to Glenn, and he hooked me up with a 3x10. reading about it only gets me so far, so he set me up with an evaluation period, so i can check it with my rig.

but honestly, after seeing Stroy have such great success with an iAMP350, i'm thinking his tonal appreciation is prolly pretty close to mine, and i'll prolly love it too.

sorry, larry... ;):D

if its worth anything, i'll post up a review comparing my newly acquired B-2 and the Dem cab. tho, the obvious volume issues will be there, tonally, it should be very interesting and fun comparing the two "hifi" traits of each.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Cool discussion here.

I'd really be curious to know or possibly hear how the Demeter shakes out compared to the Bergantino 3x10.

When I was looking for my big cab I found that I like the Berg slightly better than the Aguilar GS410 that I ended up with. I just couldn't justify the substatial extra bucks for the Berg over the Aguilar.

What seems to be the going price for the BSC-1 3x10?

7. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Hey Joker,

I see you talked with Glenn. Glenn is a great guy and is knows everything when it comes to bass and tones and music. Did you tell him i kinda referred you?

The weight on this cab in great and is very managable. I have been using it non-stop since i got it. I have played every night since saturday and it is easy to move around. I just got back from a gig...i love this cab. It is the best by far.

Joker, good luck with this cab...youwill definitely love it.

When you talk with Glenn tell him i said hi.

8. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    What i just realized is this cab was ment to be in my posession cuz the name of this cab is my anitials...just in a different order.

BSC-1

to bad it isnt

BCS-1

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ok, stroy...

i think you've been using it for much too long. to begin your rehab, you might wanna send it to me.. ;) but yea, i did mention that i knew of a guy who bought the last one he had in the shop, and Glenn said, "nice to get some indirect advertising."

seriously, tho, thanks for the info. like i said in another thread, i think you're totally diggin' the Dem like i am my B-2. and considering you love your iAMP with it, sounds like we've got similar tastes.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    how does this rig compare to the others youve had? i think this is a sign that i read too much here at tb, but didnt you used to have a walter woods and ea set up? also, wasnt there an aggie rig in there too?

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a gear ho after my own heart... ;):D

if you do have all this, did you try the WW with the Dem? that would be a sweet combo.

12. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Narud,

Yes i did have a walter woods (1200 watt) and two EA VL-110's. It was a great setup but there was something tonaly missing. So I did more searching for the right stuff. Then I heard about the DB750. I called every store i could find and all said the same thing about this amp. That it would blow away all other amps out there as far as tone and power.

So i sold the walter woods and my cabs to get the Aguilar setup. Then at the end of May 2002 i lost my job. So my gear is the first thing to go to provide for my wife, my twins, and my self. So know since i have an awesome job at Second Baptist of Houston in the audio department i was able to purchase more gear.

So take it as you may...i am not one of those guys that buys the next new thing. I cant afford it. I have too many other responsibilities.

I was just looking for what is right for me.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nah, that's me! ;)

seriously, tho, Stroy, if you can remember, how did each rig compare to each other including your new iAMP350 / Dem 3x10 setup?

14. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    joker, i'm glad you like your new acme...

on this demeter, does any body know how well it would handle overdrive? i know its a hifi cab but will it sound like crap?

impedance? and is the direct price $849 the best? (i don't want to get any one in trouble though so they can pm if they want)

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup, we gots to get some lowdown! any headroom problems going from a 1200 watt walter woods to the 350 watt ea? what about the ww/ea setup didnt do it for you tonally? was it from the cabs or head? that setup seems like it would be the ultimate portable rig. i really like the idea of that super light walter woods but am apprehensive spending that much dough on a head i cant try out first.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ... and dang proud of it!! :D

finally got the Demeter 3x10, and after weeding thru some problems with my VTBP's distortion, all i can say is WOW.

this is the most i've ever spent on a cab, but vs. the 87 lbs. Bergie, and 75 lbs. Epi, the 60 lbs. Demeter is both lighter, and mucho mas cheaper.

yup, you read right... on my bathroom scale, its only 60 lbs. that's the same as an Aguilar GS210, but i've carried the aggie, and the Demeter definitely feels much easier to carry up the stairs when i received it from the FeDex man. :cool: really compact and light is the key here. about the same height as my Jenkins 1x12 guitar cab, and get this... just a hair larger than my Sony 21" monitor!

Since, simply describing tone is gonna be really objective, i'll try and compare the sounds from other cabs i've used.

Running with my Demeter VTBP and iAMP350, i found the low-mids-to-bass range has that churny thickness reminiscent of my Aguilar GS112. slightly goosed like an Aguilar 2x10's but not as razor like as an Eden 210XLT. the middle range is much more articulate and clearer that reminded me of the overall sweet mids of an Epifani 2x10 cab. the mids arent nearly as smooth as my Bergie HT112, nor as the edgey as an Eden 210XLT, but i could get a killer back pickup growl that i found hard to get from my Bergie, and that was obviously more punchier than on the Aguilar GS112.

frankly, the highs arent as open or sparkly as the Epi 2x10, nor as glassy as my Berg HT112. but rather it was smoother and yes, much sweeter. not muffled nor harsh, but eerily similar to what i hear with my Acme. i guess Jim was reaching for something that for a lack of a few better words, was more natural and relaxed. again, like with the B-2, i much prefer this easy high end.

funny, but i was expecting something more along the lines of the Acme given James' reverance for all things audiophile, but was nicely surprised at his more "bassist" centric voicing vs. a more "direct to tape" tone ala the Acme. yet, its pretty obvious, Jim's got a magic touch with using his cabs to bring the best out of a good set of tubes.

one niggle i had was the tweeter. from the BP review, Terry mentions how its nearly seemless it goes with the rest of the speakers. and to my ears, while turning the tweeter dial in the back, i can hardly tell the difference between fully counterclockwise attenuated, and fully clockwise, wide open. it was a little disconcerting at first, but the tone more than makes up for it. yet, i cant help but feel maybe my tweeter's busted. after giving James D a call, he said if i still have trouble at my weekend gigs with the cab, he'd send me a tweeter to try out and see. he mentioned how it was literally plug in & play with the construction. very nice. and if i wasnt happy with the cab after 10 days i could send it back for a refund. mad :cool:

Course, i highly doubt that's gonna happen. after this weekend's crazy lineup of Labor Day gigs / BBQ's i'll give y'all another report. stay tuned!

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    havent tried OD yet, but will at my next rehearsal.

Impedence is 5.3 ohms at 450 watts.

and yea, currently $849 seems like the best price. most of the BSC's going out are custom orders, and nearly nobody has one on the sales floor. Rudy's only special orders them, and another dealer didnt even have a price quote yet.

until they're on the sales floor with dealers trying to push them out the door, its gonna be tough finding a discount from anybody. still, if dealers did have them on the floor, i doubt they'd stay long. :D

18. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    So, how's it going with the Demeter? I am debating between this and an Epifani 310 or a 212. I currently have an Aguilar GS115 and I love the low lows but need something else more clear, but still phat! How do you still like your Demeter cab? How would you compare it to Epifani? Thanks, Marc

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

here's another old post i havent seen in a while. why is everyone dredging up all my old posts??? i feel so special... LOL! ;)

anywho, i did try an Epi 3x10 a looooooong time ago, and loved it! great clear open voice vs. the darker more low middy feel of the Demeter cab.

brought my Aguilar DB680/Stewart rig to Nick's shop this past summer. right off the bat, i remember the Epi was super sweet for slap. notes jumped out with sizzle and snap. so open and hifi. but i like how my Demeter's dark character adds a cool chewiness to my tone. great for fingerfunk.

i remember low end seemed about the same, but the Epi had a slight edge cause it seemed to have a wee bit more, and overall felt tighter and taut. but even now, i still like my Demeter's slightly looser low end feel.

looking on the Epi site, the Epi 3x10 handles 750 watts, so it could prolly get STOOPID loud. i could easily see someone use it as a standalone, or if hauling a 4x10 was too much.

but either one is a great choice for anyone. IMHO, the Demeter BSC is a great cab that's in between a 2x10 and 4x10. doesnt have nearly the weight but gives up a great tone as a standalone.

oh yea, and i remember thinking the 3x10 Epi's just a 4x10 killer that makes its bigger bro seem redundant and other 4x10's obselete. in a way, made me understand why Jim Bergie wont do a 4x10 cause i'm sure his 3x10 rocks just as hard. then again, there are only a select few 4x10's that can do 1000 watts like the Epi, i'm sure Nick's 4x10 has their place, too.

thus ends another chapter in the Joker saga of Amp slut-dom... :D:p

20. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I have an Aggie setup right now, Maybe I'll add another 112 to my 115. Would this get too muddy? Myabe an Epi 212? Hmmm....Too many friggin' choices. But, this demeter sounds nice as a standalone cab also. Have you ever stacked two Aguilar Gs112's Did you get a nice low end? I play a Modulus Q5 through an Avalon U5/Crest power amp rig so, I don't mind the little warmth that the Aguilar seems to provide. What do you think? I see so many people using 10's BUT i love the sound of a 15 also. ArgggHHH!! Thanks, Marc