1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Demeter Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bucephylus, May 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    James Demeter makes some of the finest all time bass signal chain/amplification gear. So, it just makes sense to have a central thread for discussion of all things Demeter.

No club numbers etc. Just a good central point for info.

I’ve played through Demeter circuits for the better part of 25 years; the first being an Eden VT.25; in which James designed the preamp.

Since then, I’ve acquired a 2 x VTBP-201’s, one with a Minnie 800D installed inside it by the shop; a separate Minnie 800D for gigs requiring two 4 ohm cabs; and most recently, a VTDB, which is producing stellar results in my ampless rig. Pics follow.

Whatchagot?

409ED346-B112-4C1D-8429-19C5C255867C.

4044D1B9-B916-43B3-94B0-35AE6D812AE3.

F8EF3953-D68D-49F1-AA08-832EF87A1958.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Awesome! Great idea! I’ve been using primarily Demeter gear for my bass amplification needs since 2000, starting with a VTBP-201s preamp.

Since 2015 I have also owned a HB-600 head, Bass 400 head, and VTBP-201s-800D head all leading up to my current VTBP-M-800D head, which is my primary gigging amp now.

0D542584-1304-4478-8FA4-5F58F366C969. 8314189C-07D4-41CB-95C4-44E8052BDE59. B49AA695-07E3-483F-874A-EF2A7148A0FE.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  3. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I'm in.. bad blurry pic though.. 20180317_180655.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    IMG_3505.JPG

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've been happily using an HBP-1 preamp for better than 10 years. full.

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I’m in! Over the years I’ve used a VTBP201, then a VTBP201S, then an HBP1, then a tube direct box and now a HB600! I’ve also been very impressed with the compulator I ran for a while.

Haven’t owned any of the class D-based stuff yet, but what I REALLY want is a VTHF300M

murphy, bassbooty and bucephylus like this.
  7. Have the VTBP M 800D and am very happy with it

8. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    Nice thread. I’m always on the lookout for an Eden VT.25! Messie me if you have one please.

murphy and bucephylus like this.
  9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The VTDB is sounding great for my ampless gig; but, I was looking for a volume knob to put on my pedalboard to make small gain adjustments when switching basses. Found this this little box and ordered one. Anyone else use one of these?

BEQ-PB Bass EQ Preamp Pedal

murphy and Matt R like this.
  10. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    the Demeter onboard preamp/BEQ-PB is a really sweet preamp. I had one in a bass a while back. Super clean and clear and warm, much like the demeter tone we know and love. Loved the EQ points and the tone profile.

bucephylus and Matt R like this.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here is some of my Demeter gear:

IMG_9375_zps1ikp3fkz.

IMG_9377_zpszsweqony.

134_3413.

134_3410.

I also have a VTDB-2B, Minnie 800D and a VTHF-300M, but I don't think I have photos of those...

12. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    so jealous of your Demeter tube amp. holy lord that thing sounds awesome!

Also, SIB Fatdrive. man that was a killer. so rare nowadays

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sadly, I sold the Fatdrive...

14. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Lemme know when you’re ready to sell the vthf300m (as if I have any business whatsoever buying one of those lol)

tombowlus likes this.
  15. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    My HBP-1 w/Jensen DI.
    It’s been my favorite for quite a while, sidelining my Alembic and Yamaha.

70639FFC-E6E4-40DF-A349-4560715C2161.

Arthur U. Poon, murphy and bassbooty like this.
  16. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    cool.
    I have a VTBP-M-800DJ that I got when I needed more clean power than my Mesa Walkabout can deliver.
    I really have come to appreciate the clean tight tube tone of the preamp, and the 800w power section is very honestly rated.
    I have found that because it's so clean and clear, it forces me to play much more accurately ... which is a good thing :thumbsup:

On the other hand, while the Demeter goes out on more gigs these days, I have never given up my Walkabout because it just has more tubey-ness (?) than what I seem to be able to get from the Demeter. Horses for courses I guess.

Does anyone feel like they miss a pre/gain + master V arrangement with the VTBP ?
    I'm not completely convinced that I do, but sometimes I'd like to have the opportunity to crank the preamp a bit and then set the master level.
    After reading the thread, I wonder if the BEQ-PB preamp mentioned above might give me an external Demeter flavored pre control, and then I could use the VTBP amp section as a master ?

Demeter VTBP-M-800DJ + Bergantino CN212 sm.

17. Demeter makes absolutely top notch killer gear.

kittywithabanjo and bassbooty like this.
  18. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Got my hb600 back from repair and it’s sounding killer. What an awesome piece, really present and snappy with lots of 3D warmth.

I really missed traditional power sections.

78E25FA2-D655-4B0C-BDF7-A56DD26211B4.

19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I am really interested to ask any of you Demeter Bass 600 users about the qualities of the MOSFET driven power section of these amps.
    I think the Bass 600 also uses the HPB (?) preamp vs the 201/VTBP and am interested to know more about that too.

The driver for this interest is my search for an amp similar to my Mesa Walkabout (300w, tube pre driving a MOSFET power section). So any time I hear of this arrangement, with more power, made by a quality designer like James, it gets my interest for sure.

thanks

20. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Without getting too in the weeds about class D vs traditional power sections (class AB, Mosfet), I will say that I just like the way traditional amps "feel" more than class D amps. Except for a few class D modules (the Pascal and the ICE1200, both of which I like more than the ICE modules in most class D amps) I just seem to get a favorable playing experience out of big iron power supplies. the HB600 is pretty awesome, its a LOUD 600w for sure. I've not gotten it to the limit of its wattage and I've had it seriously cranked.

They only made a very small number of these, I think 10 or so, according to Demeter. I used to use an HBP1 and a VTBP preamp with Crest power amps, like the VS and CA series. Not the lightest, but it sure did them justice.

Big String likes this.