Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter COMP-1 Compulator, who's doin' it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by um... yeah, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I'm just wondering if there are any users out there. Any thoughts, musings, suggestions are welcome.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's one of the two best compressor stompboxes I have ever used, although there are a couple I haven't tried.

For flexibility, the EHX Black Finger rules, but it is not as user friendly as the Demeter.

For ease of use, and transparency, the Demeter is king. It is truly one of those 'Is this thing on?' compressors.

The EHX can do that trick and a lot more, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get the transparency that the Demeter has out of the box.

I own both. I gig with the Demeter.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Cool!

Thanks Jeff.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I only use mine when I play a five-string, but I love that little box. It couldn't be easier to use and it impressed the heck out of a guitarist friend who has had more outboard gear than Musician's Friend. I have no intention of buying any other.

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I recently got one for stage use-- adds a little to the attack. It is fairly transparent as compressors go. One thing I've noticed though is that it will break up a bit with a hot input signal. One of basses has active p'ups (EMG) with an Aguilar OBP-1 running at 18v-- it'll make the demeter kind of fuzzy if I don't back down the vol on the bass.

6. No worries! Compulator has a trim pot for input gain. I have never had to tweak it although I use J-retro preamp and crazy over the top effects before Compulator. :bassist: