Demeter Compulator Question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lokire, Oct 26, 2005.

1. I'm looking around for a pedal-based compressor and so far the top contender is the Demeter Compulator. I've been looking around at what people have to say about them and have heard that it's a fairly subtle and transparent compressor. So my question is, can it go beyond that? I like a fairly well compressed sound that you can really hear a difference with. If you crank up the compression on the Compulator, how compressed sounding does it get?

I'm currently using a Behringer Composer for my compression and usually have it set with the threshold around -20db and the ratio around 6:1 if that helps anyways. I guess I'm just looking for something with a simmilar sound but in a pedal...and with less knobs :p

My ultimate plan (for a rig) at the moment is to pair up the Compulator with a Sansamp (RBI or the new Programmable Pedal), into a GK 800RB

I'm going for a kind-of Dirk Lance-esque tone at the moment :cool:

Any thoughts?
  2. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    +1 on the questions.
    It seems that I can't find a lot of infos on that compressor. I'd like to know how it copares to EBS Multicomp which is regarded as one of the best pedal compressor.

Thanks TBers

3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Definately get the RBI.

I just got the RPM, and it MADE ME get the RBI! The RPM, is going to stay in the studio for recording, and the RBI will be in the gigging rig. I grabbed a new one off ebay for $200.

I haven't tried the Compulator, but I did own the Multicomp. While the Multicomp is a great pedal, it wasn't for me. I've switched to the Punch Factory. IMO the Punch Factory is more transparent, so it may not be what you're looking for. However, I use the compression at low levels, and it sounds as if you want to crank it. The Multicomp gave some great distorted tones when it was cranked if that's what you're looking for.

I believe that our El buddy Bryan R Tyler uses a Compulator. He'll probably chime in with a few helpful words. Plus I believe they're lots of other happy Compulator owners here...
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use a BOSS CS-3 full-time, first in the chain. I also like a definate compression-sound, and have been pleased with this inexpensive processor. I also use it for a treble-boost 'pre-emphasis'.

I run the first three knobs (left-to-right - that's output, tone, attack) at about 12:00, 3:15, 1:30. The last one is great (I forget what it's called offhand - maybe 'sustain'?); This pedal apparently has a fixed threshold, with the sustain knob just controlling the input gain. Because of this, I can adjust the amount of squish from song-to-song with just that one knob; no volume compensation or anything needed.

For my bass (it would definately depend on pups, setup, whatever), I run it between.. maybe 10:30 for slap - or pick-playing where I DON'T want a violent, obnoxious CLICK attack transient (I usually DO want it!), up to about 3:00 or more (SOMEtimes) for real clacky fretboard tapping or demon-foghorn feedback fuzz or something. It's most commonly set right-about 'noon'.

After that, the signal chain goes Aphex Xciter, Boss ODB-3, Boss CEB-3 - and all of this (including the CS-3) in the loop of a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor (the most excellent, perfect supressor... that for another thread, but I'm still just amazed with this thing). From there it's GK700RBII to JBL JRX125 cab.

5. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Lots of info on the Compulator in this forum, a Search should pull up a lot of good feedback.

I used one for a while and liked it a lot, you can definitely do some serious squashing, such that it has some of the proverbial kick-drum sound when you play a note. Not everybody likes this of course, but IMO it has a place, esp in fingerstyle playing.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ahh - so the Compulator CAN do that, huh?

7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just let me check a detail is the compulator battery only?

8. No, it is not. You`ll need 3,5 mini plug for power supply.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My experience with my Compulator is that it is indeed quite subtle, but very useful. It's more of tool to achieve the sound quality you're after than an effect. With the compression cranked, it can get a little squelchy, but not nearly as much as some other comps I've tried (Black Finger, etc.).

FWIW, I keep mine on pretty much at all times. If I need to add a really super-compressed tone, I'll add a compressor effect on my Boss GT-6B on top of the Compulator.

Definitely get the RBI...the blend knob is fantastic, and it's a very versatile pre. I've never liked GK stuff much...a bit too inflexible and dry to my's one of the few preamp/amp brands I've had lots of experience with and with many of their models.