1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter Compulator users: trim pot question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, Mar 15, 2010.

1. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm reviewing the new Demeter "Compro", with the attack and release knobs, and I'm trying to figure out the differences between its trim pot and the one on the original (without having to buy the original again). Does the trim pot on the original allow you to turn down the input signal, to avoid clipping the pedal with a high-output instrument? Or does it just adjust the level of the signal hitting the threshold, regardless of clipping the input?

Any of you that have adjusted the trim pot, could you do me a massive favor and describe what made you adjust that pot, whether you needed to turn it up or down, what instrument you were using, and whether adjusting the trim pot got you the results you wanted?

Thanks a bunch!

(P.S. the trim pot on the new one just adjusts the amount of boost provided when you hit the boost switch.)

2. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I adjusted the trim pot to account for the output of my bass. Not sure that's what it's for, but it helped with overall performance of the comp. Good luck, DM

3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    My experience was a lot of ugly clipping with the Compulator's gain at the midpoint, and still a little bit with the gain at minimum. I was intriguied to see the new Pro model had a high/low gain thinking that it might be a better match for my bass. I.E. thinking it addressed your first case. But the description from Demeter is "We have also included a adjustable gain boost when you want deep compression at the flip of a switch or if you need to set up for two different instruments." which makes me think it may be more like your second guess. I'd guess Jim would be happy to answer the question.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Thanks, but did you turn it up or turn it down? Did your bass have high or low output?

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    To be clear, I have the Compro in-hand and I can say with absolute certainty that the description on the Demeter site is accurate: the trim pot on this one only adjusts the amount of boost engaged when you flip the low/high gain switch. However I do not recall the actual function of the trim pot on the original one.

I emailed Demeter to ask, and Diane responded just by repeating what it says on the website. :meh:

6. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hey Bongo. I believe, if I remember correctly. The trim pot was set at max.

I have a jazz bass deluxe which puts out a very hot signal and had to turn down the trim pot about half way to get a clear non clipping signal.

After this, my compulator has been working fine. I think the trim pot just adjusts the input level. Mainly cutting.... I think.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Bongo, what I recall is that my OLP was too hot for the Compulator and clipped it. I had to turn that trim pot all the way down and keep the level knob pretty low as well. This left me with about 1 setting that could work for my bass. I'm not sure how accurate my perception was as it was one of my first comps and I'm not sure I really figured that one out.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020