Demeter HBP-1 Demo Request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJORA64, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    Hello all! So it seems that the Demeter HBP-1 is among many amps/preamps out there without a proper demo to hear how it sounds. YouTube has barely anything on the amp, and if there are sound clips on Soundcloud or wherever I haven't heard them.

Does anybody have a Demeter HBP-1 in their possession and willing to make an in-depth demo going over the basic EQ and the parametric EQ of the amp with actual fingerstyle basslines and not slap-happy wankery?

2. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    I wish YouTube would ban all slap-happy wankery demos.

MAJORA64 likes this.
  3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I posted a thread some years ago with a clip or two of the HBP-1. I didn't go through the controls, though, and no promises are made with regard to wankiness.

I don't have the pre anymore, but perhaps someone who does will see this and help you out.

bucephylus and MAJORA64 like this.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I own an HBP-1, but I don't have the ability to post a video with decent audio quality. But if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

5. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    I do like what I hear from the clips.

Mostly I'd like to hear what the parametric equalizer can do for the bass and mids.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I feel the parametric eq is it's best feature. I'm very big on a boosted midrange tone, and IMO it's very useful. It's also very good for the low end.

From what I've read, the inherent tone of the HBP-1, minus it's parametric eq, is in the same ballpark as the Demeter VTBP-201S. So perhaps you can find a clip of the VTBP-201S on YouTube, to get an idea of it's basic tone.

My basic thoughts on the HBP-1 is it's very "quick" in it's response. I don't hear it as fat and tubey. The single 12AX7 adds some slight warmth, but it's more like an "Audiophile Preamp", IMO. I did try some different brands of 12AX7's, but I didn't notice much difference. I settled on the brand of tube that came in it stock; an Electro Harmonix 12AX7.

I've gigged my HBP-1 very often, playing classic rock, modern country, and classic soul and R&B, and it's been incredibly roadworthy. It had a glitch with it when it was brand new, I think it had a faulty jack, which most likely happened during shipping, which Demeter promptly fixed under warranty, and it's been rock solid ever since.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

s_wood, kittywithabanjo and MAJORA64 like this.
  7. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Good insights about the parametric.

I've never played a 201S preamp, but I did have the HBP-1 and one of the older, 1.5U VTBP-201 (non-"S") preamps at the same time.

While both were pretty quick, the HBP-1 was quicker and firmer in feel. I recall it as being less mid-scooped than the 201 pre, whereas the 201S, going by what I remember reading about it, is more mid-scooped. I also feel that the 201 has a bit more sweetness and air at the very top of its register than the HBP. (201S, as I recall, is supposed to take that even further.) I think @tombowlus has played and written about all of these. Perhaps he can confirm, correct, or elaborate on what I say here.

It's been awhile since I had the HBP-1, but I recall it being a solid and versatile piece.

MAJORA64 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    Thats the rack preamp to get. The HBP-1 is my fave, I have had a couple, and now use a HB600 (HBP1 paired with a 600 mosfet section) as my backup.

echoing whats already been said here, it is more "flat" or mid forward than the somewhat scooped and glassy 201s. and the parametric is REALLY usable and valuable. I am able to wrangle just about any bass or rig or room with that limited passive EQ + the 2 band para.

Go for it!

But sorry, no clips :)

9. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    I too am a fan of boosted midrange tone. I was kinda hoping for the "fat and tubey" tone but still from what I've heard from the clips provided it still sounds great! I think a video going through the parametric section would be fantastic. Also, what exactly does the presence control do? Is it like an enhancer or a treble boost?

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    The presence control adds ultra high end sheen. Because I'm more into an old school rock type of bass tone, think: John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, etc, I roll it back quite a bit. The HBP-1 does have some tube warmth going on in it's tone. I really feel it's parametric eq is what sets it apart from the other rackmount preamps I've owned, which includes the Alembic F1-X, and the SWR IOD. I very much prefer the HBP-1.

MAJORA64 likes this.
  11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
  12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    One of the best, most revealing, and educational comparisons on TB. Thank you very much. Major props and well worth the time to work through this thread.

13. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    I am a long time and unapologetic VTBP-201 user. My experience with that preamp is that V1 tube selection has a significant effect on tone, V2 almost none. I use the Sylvania GB 5751 in the V1 position with stellar results.

Unfortunately can’t comment on relevance to the HBP-1. I am also using the same 5751 tube in the smaller Bass400 integrated amp, which is a major part of my ampless signal chain.

Regarding, “tubiness” of the Demeter: if you are looking for that congested “drive” tone that overdriven power tubes can produce, and which is all the rage these days; then the Demeter is absolutely NOT “tubey.” Otherwise, what the Demeter does deliver is a rock solid muscular tone with great spatial character. Which is about all you can expect from preamp tubes; and the reason I favor this particular preamp. I’m kind of sick of reading that the Demeter is “sterile.” That’s just simply wrong and misleading. Gooey? No thanks. I’m looking for sweetness. The Alembic also can do that with different flavor.

My Demeter VTBP-201 with the internal Minnie 800D on top of my Bergantino AE212 just crushes. Nothing “sterile” about it.

MAJORA64 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    My interpretation of "tubey" is warm, round and clean. I actually like that some preamps like the Demeter focus on a clean-only tone, if I wanted to get any kind of dirt I would just use a preamp pedal like my DP-3X parallel to the clean preamp.

Arthur U. Poon and bucephylus like this.
  15. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    +1

I use the Grizzly.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-

IMO the HBP-1 definitely can do a clean tube tone.

MAJORA64 likes this.
  17. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I had one many years ago, but I got rid of it in a couple of weeks. I didn't know anything about frequencies and how to manipulate them. I would love to be able to play one now to see if I would like it. But back then, I didn't know how you dial in tones.

18. carsonchilders

carsonchilders Carson Childers Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Old thread, but if one of these comes up at a similar price let me know. Would love to purchase. There's one online at GC but the photos are a big turn off. And the amount of dust.

19. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    You might try posting a "want to buy" ad in the appropriate section of the classifieds and linking it in your sig.

20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    theres a used one on Reverb for $800. seems like a bargain, lol