1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter HBP-1 + SA2.1 vs iAmp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JaggedBass, Oct 8, 2010.

1. I'm getting an Accugroove Tri 210L and am trying to decide on what to power it with.

I'm trying to spend no more than $1,000.

I've been deciding between:

1) Demeter HBP-1 H Pre + Stewart Audio World 2.1 (found a used one in great condition for really cheap).

2) iAmp 800 or iAmp Pro (the new iAmp micros don't have the parametric EQs anymore T_T)

I want nice clean, unadulterated sound, but with flexibility. I heard the iAmp gives you minimal coloring but with sufficient flexibility due to the paraEQ. I know not much about the coloring, if any, in the Demeter.

Mostly only small gigs. My bass is a custom Warrior 6-string neck-thru, buckeye burl top, alder body, mahogany/maple/purpleheart neck, purpleheart fingerboard, bartolini soapbars

What do you guys think?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have owned both the HBP-1 and the Iamp 800...the Iamp has less coloration, but the preamp flexibility edge goes to the HBP-1 (with its standard eq and then 2 band fully parametric).

The HBP-1 isn't terribly colored, but it is subtly "warmed up" I would say -- I slightly preferred the sound of the HBP-1J + QSC PLX over the Iamp, but it is very slight.

I think you would be happy with either option. They're both very clean and clear relative to most stuff out there.

3. I'm considering buying used gear, so if you have any of the above, PM me and let me know what you got and for how much.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    To get the most out of the iAmp crank the pre for all it's worth and then adjust the Master for the room.

Any way you can try the Dem Stewart?

The Dem Stewart option is interesting because you can change out the pre or the amp if you need to.

5. I got a super good deal on the Dem + Stewart used, jumped on it today. I'm sure I'll be happy with this :) I've used the Dem many years ago and remember diggin' it.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    That should be a really good sounding rig.
    I think the HBP-1 will match-up pretty good with the Tri 210L.

Bypass all the EQ and run it flat to get a very sweet, clean, warm tone.

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    HBP1 + 2.1 + tri210L is a very......very...... good combo IMO. I used to have an iamp 800 (not sure if theres any diff's beyond the power section), and I liked it alot, but I much prefer the subtle character/coloration of the HBP over the ultra dry and clean iamp.

As far as coloration goes, it doesn't get much better than what the HBP adds, still very much in the hifi camp, but with a hint of tubey warmth and dimension. Plus I find the eq section WAY more user friendly and functional on the HBP1 (never gotten the most out of the Iamps eq, because I don't care for the interface).

If you got a good deal on the Dem/2.1 I think you are in fat city my friend.

And +1 to what lo-freq said, bypass the parametric EQ for some of the best sounding plug and play tone in the biz, or engage the parametric for any "fixin".