Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter (Innovative Audio) VTBP-201 Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebozzz, Oct 26, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I found a place that has one of the Innovative Audio VTBP-201 preamps made by James Demeter for sale. It looks like it's one and a 1/2 rack spaces with gray wings and a face that's kind of off-white. There's not much to it control-wise. Simple is the key word here.

On the inside it has one ECC83. There wasn't much at this place to connect it to and I wound up using the power amp section of an SVTIIPro to power a Hartke 210/115 setup. No disrepect to any of that gear but it's not my thing right now.

Now I was using a Lotus P-Bass copy and I didn't really hear anything that made me feel like I had to have it. The store is only asking $125.00 for it and they won't budge at all on that price. Opinions anyone? Should I take a look at this option a little more? Maybe I should take my rig down there to play through it. Can I at least get my money back out of it if I decided to go for the $125.00 price? Help! :D

2. E
    I never hear of the version your spoke of, but if it's a VTBP201 in another box, I'd snatch it up. I just paid waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that for a new 201s and don't regret it at all. Of course, you can do quite a bit with 125.00 on another spend, but I doubt if it's bass gear. But like I said I never heard of the version you mentioned, better to check it out with your gear and a good power source.

3. I just re read your post and you said it had pre tube. The Demeter Demeters have two.

4. Man I need to take a nap.
    I meant you stated one pre amp tube, Dem 201 have two, except for the H seriers has one pre.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the reply Big S. The faceplate read "Innovative Audio Bass Preamp" made by James Demeter. The company was called Innovative Audio at one time starting in 1981 and it was renamed Demeter Amplification in 1990.

It's probably pretty old but I'm fairly sure that it was made by Demeter. No way am I thinking that it's one of the newer versions! :) The store is closed now so I guess that I'll try to get down there on Monday to check it out more. They're not open tomorrow. It should be safe until then.

It may not be the same flavor as the newer products but I may be able to get some use out of it if it sounds good through my rig. $125.00 didn't stop me from buying. I just didn't hear what I liked with the gear that I was using.

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Demeter VTBP201 is one of the best preamp I have,
    Now I hook it with the power section of SVT 2, and it is sound sooo goood:D

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have never heard of the 'Innovative Audio" VTBP-201 either. Assuming it is a genuine Demeter, $125 sounds like a great deal. Demeter is very high quality stuff. I would think you would be easily able to get your money back, and then some. I would jump all over it if I were you.
    Does it have the Jensen transformer? IIRC, that option cost me an extra $150 or so (and worth it).

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    This one is an older pre-Demeter product. I don't know. Maybe the combination of gear that I was using just didn't work well together. Or, the SVTII-Pro needed some maintenance. The Lotus that I played wasn't terrible but I happen to think that my personal basses are much, much better. I don't own a P-basses as I like the J-bass a lot more. Monday will give me a better assessment of how it sounds.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you don't go for it.......let us know the store name:D

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    If you have opened yours up, where is the Jensen positioned inside the case? There was a transformer-like piece directly behind the instrument input jacks. This unit has two, a high & a low, for passive or active basses.

The E is working on memory now but I think that there was also a transformer type of device near where the XLR output is located. I'm pretty sure that all of you have, as Big String termed it, the Demeter Demeters. :) This thing is probably the predecessor to the current VTBP-201. For $125.00, it may still be a bargain.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd be happy to do just that if I don't get it! ;) :D

Just as a point of reference, the preamp's color is like the power amp in the pic below.

[​IMG]

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    This is where the Jensen would be.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Then I will be checking it out more on Monday and I'll probably have a new family member! If I'm not mistaken, this place will allow a return for at least a couple of weeks even on used gear. I think that I'll just go ahead and get it.