Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter, Kern, Bergantio...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Can someone please tell me more about these? I've heard alot about them hear, but have never seen them in stores. All i see is Aguilar, Eden, Ampeg, SWR, and Peavy.

How do these rank up?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i used to have a demeter preamp. i thought it was a bit dry and lifeless, compared to may aguilar db680. i've played a kern at namm shows a few times, and it sounded ok, but seemed a bit noisy. that might have just been the environment, though, not the best place to try gear out, that's for sure.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I use Demeter & Bergantinos......I love them both!
    Top of the food chain to me:D

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    They're hard to find except in certain bass-only stores (some Guitar Center, Mars and Sam Ash stores may carry them, but most probably don't.)
    You can always mail order this stuff from places like basscentral.com and bassnw.com, but if you want to try it first you should search for dealers in your area (either search for the brand names on google or look under "dealers" at the company websites)
    www.bergantino.com
    www.kernacm.com
    www.demeteramps.com

Bergantino makes high-end speaker cabs, Kern makes an acclaimed (but fairly expensive and difficult to find) bass preamp, and Demeter makes
    bass preamps, cabs, guitar amps and various pro audio gear.

Local stores probably don't carry them because their names aren't recognized enough to sell to the average Joe, plus their gear is too expensive for many dealers and consumers.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, i love these kinds of threads... :D;)

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    has anyone else experienced noise with a kern? I'm most likely going to try to get one in the near future but I sure don't want a noisy preamp.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    My Kern isnt noisy at all.

but, i'll admit, if you flick on the brite switch and have the trebs around 2:00 or more, you can get a good deal of annoying hiss. usually i just turn my tweeter down so its at 1/3, but also turning down the "tonal balance" knob gets rid of it fast.

btw, the Kern preamp isnt that much more expensive than other boutique preamps like Demeter's VTBP or Aguilar's DB659, tho granted these are much more expensive than what you'll see in GC or Sam Ash. But, its helluva lot cheaper than the Aguilar DB680. the price i got it from henry was very comparable.

btw, phatty,

dontcha find your siggy insulting to youself at all? seems a little weird. *shrug*

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'd imagine most amps would hiss if you boosted the treble that much.

As for my sig, I find the stuff on that site hilarious. Yeah I'm Japanese, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to laugh at yourself (or your countrymen). English is my first language, so I understand how ridiculous some of the things on the website are. I don't understand why a Japanese company would spend money coming up with a name or logo without consulting a native english speaker first. It's not like it's that hard to find someone who speaks English in Japan.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    re: kern

like i said, that may have just been the environment - namm show convention floor is not exactly the best place to get the feel for the nuances of a bass preamp.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

true. but i perusing it, i got flashbacks of "16 Candles" and Hiroshi (?).

.....shudder.......

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i use and sell bergantino cabs- the reason for that is that i found them to be the best on the market, for my ears. Amazing cabs. period. - Adrian www.access-bass.com