1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter Minnie 800D question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by glocke1, Nov 10, 2018.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    You guys that have this, how do you use the fan? On all the time or switch it on between sets?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    On all the time, you can't tell that it's on even if the room is silent.

bucephylus likes this.
  3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Really? The fan on mine is loud as heck..at least in my living room it seems noisy, probably almost/about as noisy as the fan on my Mesa walkabout. I could be decieved by it being in a small living room thats otherwise quiet though.

video

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    To be honest, I've never even turned it on in a place other than a music venue. I can't hear it at all while I'm playing or in between sets for that matter.

I've had it shut down a few times because it got too hot (only with a 4 ohm load), but we're pushing a pretty loud stage volume too.

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Mine is on all the time. It’s a potent little fan; which is good for the electronics lifetime. And, +1 to @Dave W ’s comment regarding relative noise when playing live. At volume in a club, the fan noise is a non-issue for me. The only reason I can see for turning the fan off would be some kind of highly discriminating recording situation. In that case, I’m going direct anyhow. But, that’s me.

Dave W likes this.
  6. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I’ve had my VTBP-201 internal module shut down once. But, I actually suspect it was a case of bad power.

7. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    i had the minnie d800 out on a gig last night, meant to turn the fan on but forgot. Midway through the first set it kept cutting out. I turned the fan on when I noticed that but it kept on doing it.

Im guessing it was a heat issue?

For the second set I hauled out the Mesa D800+ I brought as a backup and that worked fine.

8. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Hard to say. My one experience with protect mode with the Minnie stage I initially blamed on heat. But one characteristic of the Class D power sections is that they seem a good bit less tolerant of bad power. The Mesa has @agedhorse ’s implementation of appropriate power protection, and could have a little more tolerance in the design. Don’t know how James chose to deal with that. Could be the Demeter amps are less tolerant.