Demeter On Board Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'm thinking about installing this ON BOARD preamp in my bass (Smith 6 string). Anyone out there got one that could tell me how they like it?

I did a search for them througout talkbass, but I got 85 pages that almost exclusively deal with the rackmount pre's. Not the on board pre's.

(Moderators, feel free to move this thread if it is out of place.)

2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    at last fall's NYC guitar show, Matt Pulcinella was there with his basses, and Demeter onboard pre's are standard.

i tried a 5 string with 3 mini toggles switches! one for each band: treb, mid, bass. each toggle had a two position flip, one for the upper freq of that band, and one for the lower. pretty incredibly versatile.

tonally, it was really nice. very quiet, hifi, detailed, and alive feeling. like using active pickups. nothing burnished, vintage or broken in sounding at all.

a great pre, but i heard Demeter doesnt build for joe consumer, but mostly for manufacturers. so he doesnt have a set design, except for a super basic one, that doesnt have all the options i spoke of.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    kind of a gray area

you might get better feedback in Pickups,
    so that's where it's goin'
  4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    THAT'S WHAT I WANT!!!!! And you're right, Joe Consumer can't buy a model taht Demeter sells to a builder like MP or Tyler basses. So, what is the bare bones version like? If I can't get the Demeter the way i want it, I'll settle for an Aggie OBP-3.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its just treb, mid, bass, pickup selector sweep knob, volume.

i'm pretty sure this info is on the website. you can call Demeter directly, and ask Jim himself.
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I have the Demeter pre in my Elrick NJS 5, and it's very reminiscent of the sound of the rackmount Demeter tube pre - of course, nowhere near the effect on the tone, but it seems to me the general idea is the same..

really open, clear, crisp - sweet and airy highs. truly a night and day difference from your everyday bartolini sound (not that i'm rippin on the barts).

i've had two smiths, and i have to say i think the smith preamp sounds better on a smith than the demeter would - but that's IMHO of course - what are you trying to accomplish by the change?
  7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've got a demeter in my Tyler
    Abe Laboriel 5 string. Its really the
    only thing Tyler puts in his basses.
    Killer sound! Really shines in the studio.
    Sort of like a fender on steroids. The
    only down side is that it seems to eat
    batteries. Quality piece of gear.
  8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    COOL! Another Tyler owner!!!!!!! I have a 34" 5 string myself. It is THE BEST sounding bass I've ever owned. I'm a Tyler dealer as well, but because of the build time, I bought mine used. Mine was built for Hugh MacDonald of Bon Jovi in '94.
    The Demeter that they use has the 2 position toggles for the freq. but also has a 0-+10 db gain boost at the output stage. I have gotten these pre's with the switches(Yes....I'm a dealer), but Jim is reluctant to do the gain boost as this is Tyler's thing.
  9. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have one on the way. My only "problem" is that I already have good on board preamps in all of my main basses. So, I've decided to put this nice, expensive, preamp in . . . my $100 SX! If I really like it, I might swap it out w/ the bart or emg pre in one of my more expensive basses.