1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter Opto Comp Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McThumpin, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Just got one. It's awesome, but I find with higher comp settings, maybe around 2oc and higher, that if I hold a note, after a second or so, the volume increases. Is that because the release time is fairly short, and it causes the volume to bloom back up? I don't really use it at such high settings, but I'm curious if this is normal for the demeter. Cheers!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That is a normal action for any compressor. How much it's audible/noticeable will depend on the strength of the input signal relative to the threshold, as well as the ratio.

3. Hmmm. I've never experienced it before to this extent. It's very noticable with the Demeter. I have a Aphex 651, an Ashly SC50, Dyna Comp... I guess comparing it to the dyna comp, which has the same "controls" as the Demeter, the DC's release is smooth, at all settings. What would I do to not get that volume bloom on the Demeter?

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Adjust the level of the signal going into the pedal. The Aphex and Ashly have input level and/or threshold controls, so you would have set them optimally for your needs; and the Dynacomp has a fixed threshold which just randomly/coincidentally happens to be the right level for you not to hear the compression releasing (given the same input signal). The Demeter's fixed threshold is at a different level.

5. Alright, thanks. With the Demeter, I'm also noticing some static behind the note at higher compression. And I'm not really driving it very hard. Is that normal?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No, not IME. However a few others have experienced some noise, which I can only chalk up to different rigs/basses etc.

7. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    The more you compress, assuming you make up the gain with a volume boost, the more static you'll hear as a result of the volume boost. That's normal. Compressors turn loud things down and we tend to then turn everything up to compensate... this is why a lot of 80s compressors had noise gates built in. Does the hiss go away during a loud note? Probably! You might just want to use less compression.

Remember, don't compress so much that you can no longer play a line that has any dynamics. You're better off playing evenly than playing badly and expecting a 'talent booster' pedal to even things out for you!

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    :rolleyes: Assume much?

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Isn't there a trim pot on the Opto Comp that lets you adjust input gain?

10. Yes, there is.

I don't usually use a lot of compression, I'm just trying to get to know this pedal.