Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

demeter opto compulator question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dunamis, Sep 29, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    For those of you who use (or have used) this comp-- is it a battery killer? What sort of battery life have you experienced. I just got one and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to use an external power supply.

Thanks!

2. Compulator is not battery killer. It´s even true bypass so you don`t have to unplug it after using.Just have to remember to switch it off. I have one-spot power supply in my pedal board so haven´t used batteries for a while though.

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    judas,

Thanks for the reply! I've been using the opto comp for a couple of days on battery but I'm considering using a power supply. It requires a "tip positive" connection and my pedal board is "tip negative". I may pick up a new plug end so I can reverse polarity. I hate battery devices-- they always quit at the wrong time!

Thanks again,

Matt

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Get a decent power supply with all the right connections. If you insist on using batteries or have pedals that only run on batteries...use re-chargeables - help save the planet :)
    my 0.02

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I looked into this a couple months ago, and found out something interesting. There seems to be one kind of NiCad that has an almost perfectly-flat discharge curve. This means that you don't have to adjust a pedal as the battery wears down. When they do go dead then, of course, they just drop-dead all at once.

Another kind of nicad has a down-sloped terminal voltage as it discharges, like most other batteries. I got this info from a data book at Radio Shack; it said that their 'old'-model NiCad had the flat curve, and the new 'super'-or-something-like-that NiCad was sloped. Then, the last time I went into a 'Shack, they said that they had discontinued the old ones.

I'd like to use the flat-discharge kind. They'd probably regulate even-better than the AC line would regulate a wall-wort. I would imagine some pedals would be very sensitve to supply voltage - I haven't really figured it all out for my four particular pedals, but I usually DO use a fresh set of batteries for gigs.

Joe