demeter opto compulator question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dunamis, Sep 29, 2005.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    For those of you who use (or have used) this comp-- is it a battery killer? What sort of battery life have you experienced. I just got one and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to use an external power supply.

2. Compulator is not battery killer. It´s even true bypass so you don`t have to unplug it after using.Just have to remember to switch it off. I have one-spot power supply in my pedal board so haven´t used batteries for a while though.
  3. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for the reply! I've been using the opto comp for a couple of days on battery but I'm considering using a power supply. It requires a "tip positive" connection and my pedal board is "tip negative". I may pick up a new plug end so I can reverse polarity. I hate battery devices-- they always quit at the wrong time!

Thanks again,

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Get a decent power supply with all the right connections. If you insist on using batteries or have pedals that only run on batteries...use re-chargeables - help save the planet :)
    my 0.02
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I looked into this a couple months ago, and found out something interesting. There seems to be one kind of NiCad that has an almost perfectly-flat discharge curve. This means that you don't have to adjust a pedal as the battery wears down. When they do go dead then, of course, they just drop-dead all at once.

Another kind of nicad has a down-sloped terminal voltage as it discharges, like most other batteries. I got this info from a data book at Radio Shack; it said that their 'old'-model NiCad had the flat curve, and the new 'super'-or-something-like-that NiCad was sloped. Then, the last time I went into a 'Shack, they said that they had discontinued the old ones.

I'd like to use the flat-discharge kind. They'd probably regulate even-better than the AC line would regulate a wall-wort. I would imagine some pedals would be very sensitve to supply voltage - I haven't really figured it all out for my four particular pedals, but I usually DO use a fresh set of batteries for gigs.