Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter Owners!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 30, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

ok, i have a confession, i'm not happy with my Dem VTBP. does anyone else find it distorts sometimes? i've talked to another bud on the HCBF and he too cant seem to push the Dem over volume 3 without some sort of slight distortion happening.

anyone else having problems? and if so, what solutions did you arise? thanks.

2. I've never noticed that with mine, but I've only had it a few weeks.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    man, i've been struggling so long with this, i think i should make good on that warranty... :rolleyes:

bump, justincase...

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a pair of the VTBP-201's and neither one distorts.

Chuck

5. You should probably talk to James Demeter about this.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My Demeter is very clean.......if I want grit I just dig in and it responds.....thats one of the things I really like about it......very responsive! Like it was mentioned before, I would talk to James Demeter... he is easy to talk to.....it might just be a tube:)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ALoha Jerry!

hey, how far can you turn yours up until you get the overdriven tones? with my active pickups running thru the active input, i cant go any higher than 3 on the dial.

btw, i swapped out the EH's for several different sets of tubes from NOS 12AX7's to 5751's, and they exhibited the same.

oi vey..

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I never really had to turn it up past about four for a gig because my rig is loud......is it driving your poweramp into clipping and distorting, or is it distorting on the line out? Unlike what I have heard about Demeters....mine seems to have a pretty hot output.......and I know if I pushed it to 6 or 7, it probably would clip my poweramp. Soundmen just love the line out of the Demeter.. very clean!!!

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The guy running our sound last night said almost that very thing to me.

I've never had any problems with distortion, or a problem of any kind with mine. I have the older 1 1/2 space unit. I don't know if the newer ones are different.

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mine's one of the newer one space jobies....the only problem I've had was a loose solder joint from shipping & was very minor!

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... very interesting...i've found exactly the same thing. cant go past 3, 4 or things start distorting.

i've tried using the internal volume trim to cut down on how much signal i'm sending into my stewart and peavey poweramps, but it seems to clip the highs a bit, and feel overall dead.

i guess this is symtomatic of all VTBP's.

12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't noticed this problem with mine. But I can't recall where I set the volume. I'm running mine into a PLX1602 and I just watch the LED's on the amp. I do know that if I'm pushing the the PLX then it's getting pretty darn loud.

For reference, I put a pair of NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7's in mine. Of the three preamps that I have the 201 is my favorite.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My experience was just the opposite. I found him arrogant, dishonest (i.e., he repeatedly lied about shipping dates) and incapable of anything remotely resembling acceptable customer service. While I consider the 201 to be a good bass pre, I would never buy anything from Demeter again. Don't get me started...:mad:

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really Boog?

wow, that sucks. James has always been courteous to me, and especially, Phil, one of the techs has helped me tremendously in the past.

just recently, the 3x10 i just got to me seems like it has a busted tweeter, so james is shipping one out to me to try out for free. Phil also got on the line and told me to call him as soon as i get it to help me install it. top notch.

but i gotta say, the sales manager, Kevin (or was is Keith?) was a real pain the ass, and exactly the way you described Jimmy. all i wanted was a simple answer to an RMA number, and he gave some 'tude that wasnt appreciated.

i guess we all have our days...

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Never dealt with Kevin/Keith but I agree on Phil. A righteous dude and the only one I dealt with at Demeter who seemed to have a customer service concept. James (I know it was him because he rather pompously announced to me, "This is James Demeter himself speaking.") was an arrogant ass who jerked me around for a couple of weeks on shipping a unit and then finally suggested I drive to Van Nuys and pick it up if "I was in a hurry." They then sent me a 201 with no screws to hold the front panel on. Fortunately, Phil sent me the screws right away in the mail. No more Demeter stuff for me. Life is too short to do business with people who treat a customer like I was treated.

The preamp seem OK, however. Now that it has screws holding on the faceplate, that is! :rolleyes:

16. A real shame.

That attitude just reeks of "I've got so much business, I don't need yours."

Usually one has to go to a tire company or a government agency to get customer service that poor.

:D

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

Yeah, I hear ya. I was definitely surprised to be treated this way at that price-point. One expects premium service when paying premium prices. I came away from the "Demeter experience" with the sense that I should feel honored they let me buy one of their wonderful boxes. At least, that was the attitude they seemed to communicate. As I said, the tech was definitely the exception, however. A real straight-up guy and very helpful.

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This all seems odd. Nightbass, one of our fellow TB'ers communicated with Jim regarding a used 201 that he bought and he thought Jim was very helpful, if I remember correctly. :confused:

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Glad to hear he doesn't treat everyone as shabby as he treated me! ;)

20. Got my 201s yesterday and hooked it up. I won't say I'm disappointed, but I had to have my volume on the Dem at least on 12:00 and sometimes 1:00 to get my Berg HT212 to jump out. I'm using a QSC PLX 2402 and Lakland 4-94 and Lakland Joe Osborn. I tried both active and passive inputs with the 4-94 and preferred the passive for the punch. I don't know what to pick out for the 120hz or 60hz button. The 60hz really makes it punchier but more overdriven. I sort of liked the presence knob off. ?? This pre amp is really clean and I'm used to the all tube (mesa 400+) sound I guess. I have the QSC on stereo mode and channel one all the way up. I have not tried with the band yet. The QSC has a buzz that really bugs me. Any way, send me your setting on the DEM and QSC. Maybe it's the weaker signal from my 4-94. Just feeling a little "not blown away" like I thought I'd be.