Demeter Pre-Amp Tube Swap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boobinga, Mar 11, 2001.

1. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I recently purchased a new Demeter VTBP-201s pre-amp. It sounds pretty good, but being the perfectionist I am, does anyone have experience or a recommendation for a tube upgrade? It has the original tubes.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    That's a pretty subjective question... I'd contact Demeter and ask that question. Some manufacturers recommend certain tubes for best performance. I've done lots of tube changes in my Alembic F1X (uses a 12Ax7 or 7025 pre tube), and I honestly didn't get a lot of variation (that I could hear) until I put in a Groove Tube. Even then, it wasn't a big deal. I've gone back to readily-available Sovteks. If you really want to experiment, there's a guy called Lord Valve out there that has a pretty wide variety to choose from. I'd give you the URL if I knew it, but I don't off-hand. Maybe someone else knows..
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Thanks. I'll contact Demeter and the others mentioned. I'm also open to additional suggestions.
  5. A few months ago I tried a few different 5751's(basically a military version of the 12 ax7) in my alembic fx-1, and my Demetervtbp-201, you have to try these tubes if you are looking for a nice warm tone, and a fat little bubble on the bottom, by the way a tech at Demeter said basically the same thing.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    NOS Mullard
  7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own 2 VTBP-201's. I have Groove Tubes 7025's in one and RCA 7025's in the other. The 7025's (both brands) increased the clarity and detail of the preamps.

I tried GT 5751's and found the tone rather "lifeless". Maybe I tried some tubes that were not up to par.

8. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I did talk to a guy at Demeter this afternoon. For old tubes he suggested Mullard or Telefunken 7025a. For new tubes he suggested Sovtek 12AX7EH or LPS. So I suppose I'll check into the availability of the old stuff on ebay. Thanks again.