1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter pre and swr 750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paulf1, Sep 19, 2008.

1. paulf1

paulf1

Jan 5, 2006
    Liverpool uk
    Hi,
    I'm looking to get a demeter pre amp and a swr power 750 power amp. Anybody think this is a good idea? I'm not even sure if the demeter will work with the swr, I'm a bad noob with amps n stuff.
    Any ideas on cabs too?

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    They should work just fine together. I can vouch for the Power 750 - I have two of them and they work very well. Demeter makes very nice stuff as well - I think your tone will be more on the hi-fi side with that rig so hopefully that is what you are looking for.

JR

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You might consider any good brand power amp, unless there is some feature of the 750 you want that I don't know about. N.B., I am assuming you are getting a version of the 750 that has no built-in pre....

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The Power 750 is a standalone power amp from SWR.
    http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4405500000

5. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I think it's an excellent idea, especially since I'm selling a mint condition Power 750 right now. I listed it in the classifieds a few weeks ago, but with no bites, so I put it up on the 'bay.

6. paulf1

paulf1

Jan 5, 2006
    Liverpool uk
    Thanks for the posts guys

7. VastDreamz

VastDreamz

Aug 9, 2005
    Which Dem Pre are you looking into getting?
    That too should make quite the difference. And what about the Cabs?

8. paulf1

paulf1

Jan 5, 2006
    Liverpool uk
    I'm looking at getting a HBP 1,
    as for the cabs i'm thinking accugroove. They look pritty good but have a price tag to match!
    I saw a guy on this fourm who bought a marcus miller pre and used a yamaha power amp. the power amp looks the part but i dont know if it would be better than the swr, as theswr is made for the bass.
    The question is do i get the yamaha power amp which is half the price and use the spare cash to get a better cab like an accugroove?

9. VastDreamz

VastDreamz

Aug 9, 2005
    I think you will be more than happy with your HBP-1. It is a very very versatile pre. I swear by mine.

As for the Poweramp... i think it'll work fine. The only reason i ask about your cab set up is because i'm trying to get a feel of what you are looking for sound wise.

Which accugroove cabs are you looking for? look at the specs and then look at the specs on the power amp. Pay attention to the power rating per Impedence and what have you (especially for a multi cab set up)

With that...
    I'm running my Dem HBP-1 to a Carvin DCM2500 into some custom built cabs running Titanium Tweets and Ciare 12s along with B&C/ Beyma 10s
    I love my Dem and it's probably, out of everything in my signal chain, the one thing i will not play without. The clean and the versatility is amazing! Not to mention, it's built with high quality parts so it's more reliable than a majority of amps out there.

As for the SWR/Fender Marcus Miller Pre. I would love to try that one out too!
    hope this helps

10. paulf1

paulf1

Jan 5, 2006
    Liverpool uk
    I'm looking for a quality, clean sound, so accugroove seem like the right choice for cabs. I've never seen a bad review of them, they always get 10/10 or 5 stars.

As for the type of cab I was thinking the el whapo. I like the idea of having a speaker for each range, 15'' for the bass,
    12" for the mid and the 6" or 8" (i can't renember) tweeters for the treble.

Although i was put off by big cabs after giging with a ampeg 4x10 which was well heavy. I ended up buying an EBS Gorm 350 combo, which is great and far better than the ampeg.

Thanks for the advice

11. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    The SWR Power 750 would appear to be a good match for the El Whappo. The Power 750 is rated 750 W @ 4 Ohms, and the El Whappo is rated 800 W @ 4 Ohms. The Power 750 I'm selling right now has a BIN of 599 USD, which is $400 less than you will pay for a brand new one these days, and mine is pre-Fender and in like-new condition. You'll find me on eBay as "sinecraft".

12. paulf1

paulf1

Jan 5, 2006
    Liverpool uk
    Yeah, I thought that one might have been yours. I asked a question about it (paulflan0151).

The problem is i'm from the uk and will have to pay some big tax on top of the price. With the price, postage and tax it might take it out of my price range for a used power amp. I can get a brand new uk voltage one for a good price here, but i might very well put a bid on and see if i get lucky!

Good luck with the bid too