Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter Pre + Nordstand PUPs = ? Input wanted.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Sep 1, 2005.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well i just ordered a Demeter Pre-amp. It looks sorta goofy, but you know worst come to worst is I'll sell it. But i don't wana drop 240 into a pair of N4JSE pups and have it sound like crap in the demeter pre. I've pretty much conluded a vintage type of pup would sound like crap through the seemingly "hifi" sound of the demeter. I'm looking to add that extra "edge" or just that bit of growl. I have a pair of Bartolini 9K's but they have NO grow/edge/agressiveness to its tone at all, none what so ever. And they have a muted high end. I figure that the glassy highs + 9k muted high end *MIGHT* equal out and have a good soudning bass. The N4JSE also has a muted high end, so the glassy highs on the demeter again should eqaul out, or not.

What do you guys think- NJ4SE + Demeter pre ?.

BTW: Bass wood if it matters: Swamp ash with quilt top
    neck wood: AAA birdseye maple w/ ebony fretboard

Thanks in advance- any ideas are welcomed.

**Also, anyone know where to get a pair of the like bart 9W4 or w/e quad coil jazz pick ups? I figure quad coil + demter pre = as close to a roscoe as i'm going to get for now.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    A good set of pickups should always sound good with a quality preamp, and the same in reverse. I'm not sure if I'd say that the SEs have a "muted" high end. I think they'll cut through just fine for you, but SEs with a Demeter pre would be a VERY nice set-up indeed! You could certainly do a lot worse. ;)

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Demeter can be really transparent with a little too much focus on the highs, and I think when paired with p-ups that are very clear and bright, it's too bright and almost hissy. I think the Demeter stuff works better with p-ups that are a bit warmer, like a Bartolini myself, but if you're into really bright, I think the Demeter combo is the way to go.

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    The SEs are NOT by any stretch muted in the top end...my main bass has them, with an Eshenbaugh preamp...passive or active, thet flat out sparkle...punchy, clear, growl, clarity...all there. As far as the Demeter pre...I'm not a big fan, but to each their own...I dig the Bart 3 band pre with mid switching. I had an R Bass with the Nord Ses and a Bart 3 band....game over!!
    Jay at BHB will take good care of you...give him a call. Best service on Carey's stuff, IMO.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love the Demeter preamp. With that said Carey has recommended against using the Demeter preamp with his pickups. For some reason the combo creates hum. I really like the Demeter with Bartolini pickups myself. I would also suggest that if you want a more modern J bass sound than to call John Suhr and get some pickups from him. I only say this because I've heard great things about the Pat Wilkins jazz basses that have Suhr jazz pickups with a Demeter pre.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I don't want to discredit your oppinion, but I don't agree with that, nor do I belive it to be true. In fact, I was so surprised by that post that I immediately talked it over with Carey, and he doesn't agree with the content of the post either.

The Demeter pre is a quality preamp and Nordstrand pickups are quality pickups. I have never heard anyone (nor received any feedback) indicate that they get noise in their signal chain by matching these two products. When you say that the combo "creates hum", are you talking about ALL instances or do you just know of one instance? Have you experienced this personally in one of your basses, have you heard it personally in a friends bass, or did someone just tell you about it?

Emjazz....please don't think that I'm trying to "bust chops" here. I just think that it's very important not to make blanked statements that could misrepresent the truth, or could me misinterpreted. I also don't think it's fair to make statements on behalf of a builder/manufacturer when Carey doesn't believe in the statement that are being made. I certainly would (respectfully) disagree with you post above.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fair enough. I would never express anything here unless I had the information to back it up. My old Nordstrand ended up with Carey's dual coils and a Demeter pre. I spoke to two people who owned it with that setup and they said that it had problems with buzzing that couldn't be alleviated. This was the case with the second person I spoke to as well and that was after JP had installed The newer pickups. I also heard from two individuals who indeed emailed me for info about the Carey's work and proceeded to tell me that Carey had expressed against the combonation of his pickups with a Demeter preamp. Now, did I have the experience myself? No I did not. I definately try to be carefull about what I write on these forums as I know it will most likely find someone who disagrees and feels differently. Now you know why I wrote what I did. I have the utmost respect for Carey and would never say or write anything to discredit him, as well as I don't feel that I did. I also would never feel the right to speak for anyone else and maybe I should've been more clear. If I had heard this from one person I would've never shared the information but I indeed heard it from two different people in both cases.

Also, I was weary of mentioning John Suhr's work since it is Carey's former empoyer and is somewhat his competition (not really, John doesn't openly sell his pickups). I only mentioned it because it's the only situation that I know of that uses a "fender" type jazz pickup with the Demeter preamp. I meant nothing by this. If this caused any contention than I'm sorry.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rereading my post I can understand where you or Carey may have thought that I was intentionally trying to steer the original poster away from Carey's pickups. I mentioned two other manufactureres to look at. I however meant nothing of the sort. I have nothing but great things to say about Carey or his service or he as a person. I just happen to love the Demeter preamp and was suggesting a couple of other pickups that work well with it. My sincere apologies to you and Carey if you had read this differently than what I had intended. I have no experience with Carey's pickups as they are, only the early versions which I can't possibly use as a reference since they've changed quite a bit. They are very popular and used by many luthiers now so I have no doubt that they're great pickups. My friend Will swears by them. To make things perfectly clear, I have no personal experience with Carey's pickups and the Demeter preamp together.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Andy, I didn't think it sounded like you were dissing Carey's PU's...just passing along some info. FWIW, I do love the NJ4SE's (fourth set on the way...fortunately got two of them used at good prices) but haven't tried them with the Demeter pre. I can verify that they work great with the Bart NTMB3 (as Matt says!), the Smith pre, the OBP-1. I'm thinking about getting a Demeter outboard box to check out the pre with, but it's tough when I like the above 3 so much! I'd recommend the NTMB3 for modern basses and the OBP1 for vintage style basses. The Smith is somewhere between the 2.

Also FWIW, I would love to check out Suhr's "Humphrey" jazz set, which looks similar to the NJ4SE set...but again, it's tough when the NJ4SE's are so good.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Andy,
    I think we're good. :) The issue wasn't about Suhr pickups at all, your recommendation of them, or not recommending Nordstrands. The post just read like all Nordstrand pickup paired with a Demeter preamp every time will always lead to noise in the signal chain. I'm always warry of blanket statements like that, as what might have happened to one person (or a couple of people) depending on a specific bass, specific preamp, or pickup model might not be representative of basses, preamps, or pickups in general. You know what I mean here. ;) I'm glad that you clarified your post, but I don't think that there was anything wrong with the fact that you expressed your opinion and made alternative suggestions. That's what TB is all about, afterall, right? :D

11. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Emjazz- aren't the Suhr's pickups real vintagy. So the sorta hi-fi*ish* demeter would sorta cancel out the vintagness. Based on the fact that my high end would most likely be outta control with Nordies- i think i may steer clear. Emjazz do you have any soundclips of pat wilkins bass / anyway to findout witch suhrs he's using- i just saw a pair of suhrs on ebay for like 200 btw.

12. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    I also spoke to Cary about this combo and he advised against it.
    Something about the Demeter being a buffered preamp.
    I do have experience with the Barts 9J#4 with a Demeter and the results were excellent. Very transparent and smooth. On the NJ4SE sound when compared to a single coil pick up, the Nordies are absolutely rolled off on the high end, at least to my ears.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sorry I never saw this. I've never played one of Pat Wilkins basses. I just was curious seeing as he was using the Suhr pickups with a Demeter preamp. You could always email Pat to ask him though.