Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter preamp volume/gain controls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sizz, Sep 28, 2002.

1. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Hey all,

This might be a goofy question, but here it goes...

On the Demeter HBP-1 or VTBP-201S there is only one volume control to speak of. I have been accustomed to a gain knob and a separate volume/output knob on just about every amp I've had so far, so I'm a little confused. Does the Demeter have an automatic gain level that I don't know about or does the volume knob control both the input gain & output or what? I'm seriously considering one of these two preamps & I wanted to get the skinny before I made a move. Thanks!

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Demeter preamps do just use the one volume control. Some preamps use gain and master controls to allow you to set optimum input levels or to overdrive the preamp. The Demeter stays clean and seems to have a very favorable signal/noise ratio no matter where the volume control is set.

Chuck

3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    The 201 has an internal pot (accessible by removing the top cover plate of the casing) that I believe controls the output to allow for matching the input requirements of different power amps. I would think this applies also for the 2 newer single space Dems.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, that's my understanding as well. Demeter also told me that the internal pot was set in their shop to match the most common settings so it would not require adjustment with most amps. I've found that my 201S is set just right for use with my Stewart 2.1.

5. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Ahhh, I see... that makes perfect sense. Thanks to all for the clarification!

By the way, here's a preference question: Which would you prefer between the VTBP-201S and the HBP-1? I've heard that the 201S sounds a little warmer & "tubey", but the HPB-1 has the 2-band parametric in case your lows & mids get unruly. I'm debating between these two units & need all the help I can get. Thanks again.

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I tried both and end up with VTBP. it has a warmer tone, and why do you need a parametric e.q anyway?
    When you 're gigging just dnot have time to fiddle the PM e.q. , VTBP is just so simple.

I have Aggie DB 680, but I never touch the parametric e.q for a year now;)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i treat the external volume knob like a gain knob, and the internal trim like a master volume.

the best setting is what Demeter sets it at, which is dead center pointing at noon and 6 o'clock. anymore, and your power amp'll start to freak out, rendering a clean signal, really dirty. also, on the internal trim, anything lower than 10:00 seems to lose highs. with the external volume, you set it just enough so you dont distort, and use the volume knob on your power amp as your overall volume control.

the only time i've set the internal gain in my VTBP higher than middle, was when i had to run a 50 foot long cord to the power amp underneath the stage, then to my cabs. (...dont ask... :rolleyes:) really fed the long unbalanced run nicely, and thankfully, no interference or radio crap.

and like others said, i prefer the VTBP too, for its more glassy, tubey tone. but IMHO, in a dense live setting with lots of instruments and whatnot, i've used both, and you really cant tell the difference.

and the HBP is great for really carving out your tone. if you find yourself, often, in boomy sounding rooms, the HBP's low freq. parametric EQ is simply the best way to weed out that annoying boom, and really make your bass punchie.