Demeter Pre's???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 15, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

due to the larger gigs, and a recent promotion at work :), i'm lookin' for a new more powerful rig. I've settled on a Peavey DPC1400x (woulda went with a Stewart 1.2, but something without a fan scares the pants offa me), but now need a pre.

I'm primarily a jazzer/funk/slap guy, who likes a quick & responsive tone that's lively, airy, and clear. but now, i wanna add a dallop of tubey juicyness to that. my basses are primarily maple/ash with jazz or soapie pickups.

After researching all over Talkbass, i just need a little fine tuning. Seems like all that's left for me is either Aguilar's DB659 or one of Demeter pre's.

From the posts, the VTBP-201S seems like its EQ wouldnt be flexible enough for me. Has anyone tried the D's HBP-1?? how's its tone? is something lost in it not being all tube? Also, like i said in the DB750 post, i just got a DB359 for my home studio, and love that sound, and think the Aguilar sound fits me well. But i'd rather have something different to keep things interesting.

BTW, if you're interested, i'm selling off my WT400 and iAMP350. So, if you're interested, keep an eye out on ebay.

oh yea, and anyone selling a Kern for cheap? ;)
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey, JNY! Get your a** back on HC!:D

I've played 'em both (Demeters)- Major diff is that
    HPB has parametric EQ, probably gives a little more tweaking as to the room, the mix, the sound, etc.
    Some (purists) feel that the original VTB is the Sh***, with its roundness being voiced so good, you don' need nuthin!
    My ears are not that well tuned, except to say they both are very excellent units- Depending on the cab your using, and the axe, and what you want to hear, its a toss-up.
    That's why every GAS addict MUST have at least 3 to 6 racks filled, with several empty spares as new gear comes out.
    BTW the IP-77 is right up there. So tight.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

I've heard both extensively (check the day gig, :D), and ended up buying the HBP-1. No difference with the parametric off to my ear, and the para is VERY good at dialing in your tone needs when necessary. Either is highly recommended (and both are in stock at a certain shop in FL ;) ).
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

but there must be others out there who have tried or even used Demeter pre's. anyone? anyone? bueller? bueller?
  5. Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    Should have my HPB-1 today?!.. I hope..
    So I will let you know my opinion of it in a few.
  6. I loved my demeter for its clean simple pure tone but if I ever had to create really drastic tone changes it wouldn't be the one. And it will tell you if the rest of your rig has tone problems because you can't make the drastic tone change that you can with a Para EQ. I'd vote try both with the rest of your rig and get the one you think is the most useful for all the places you will use it