Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter Pres

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TBONE64, May 23, 2002.

1. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Hey I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with Demeter pres with an upright bass.

I use a WW head for small to medium gigs, but am entertaining the idea of a Demeter/Stewart for larger gigs.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, did someone say the magic combo?

[​IMG]

but seriously, does my bugbass II count? if so, then the tone's great! i can only imagine how much better a real DB would sound.

the demeter's tone is clear, airy and articulate. in a word great. might not be as aggressive as some other preamps such as my Aguilar DB680, but i doubt you'd need that for an upright. besides, you trade that off for the clarity. of all the bass pre's i've tried, the Demeter's definitely the "hifi, pro-audio" of the bunch. coupled with my aguilar the tone becomes more burnished and thick. with my Bergantino, its clearer and sweeter.

keep in mind, you might need a clip on fan from kmart to blow on the Stewart. i dont really use it to its extremes like some gents, so i have yet to experience the "shutdown of death". yet, some people think stewarts are more prone to heat shutdown, and to be honest, they are. but aim some active cooling on the "bigger than life as it is" heatsink blades and its the safest and coolest solution to own.

if you're still hung up on the "shutdown", then try a Peavey DPC1400x. before you bemoan its a peavey, i have one for my larger gigs, and its great. built in variable fan. good clear tone, that's acceptable for its lightweight.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've used my older Demeter with upright bass many times. It sounds great.

I recently switched to using an SWR Grand Prix (with an RCA 7025 tube) for upright. Both the SWR and the Demeter sound very good but I think the GP has a very slight edge for upright while I prefer the Demeter for electric bass.

Chuck

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I use my Demeter ( the older one) with my 2X. I have to use my K & K preamp since I'm using the Big Max. I LOVE the TONE!;)

5. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Thanks for the input everybody. I know what I will be purchasing now. I suspected the Demeter would work, now I have a confirmation.

I'll let you know.