Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter Tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Which product do you mean? Any Demeter product? The 300 watt all tube power amp looks interesting although they are only getting 300 watts RMS out of 8-6550 power tubes. (shouldn't it be more like 400 watts)

2. Yea, the 300 watt tube amp. I thought that 300 watts was pretty conservative for 8 6550s I bet the thing is really fine though.

3. I think that it would be really fine too especially if it is cheaper than the Aguilar power amp with 8-6550's which I think that it is. (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong)

4. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    That Demeter unit is the only thing that will get you to pry my cold, dead fingers from my Trace Elliot V-Type gear. Jim Demeter knows his **** cold. If could afford it, I'd be using nothing but Demeter amps.

5. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Has anyone else found that the Demeter stuff sounds a little too hi-fi (read: colder and less 'tubey') compared to what you would expect from a tube gear?

After all, you're paying all that much more, and breaking your back, for the 'tube' sound.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i find the Demeter sound to be more a "refined" tube sound.

not overly corpulent or gushing with too much "tubeyness" which could possibly muddy and mush up your sound. doesnt get caught in the "too much for your own good" syndrome.

rather it seems to bring out the more finer parts of the tube sound, i.e. airy sense & sweet musical midrange, to the table with ease.

Demeter gear is an acquired taste that prolly after hearing other more inarticulate preamps, do you understand the benefits of that clarity and hifi sense that sets them apart.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    This is sitting just a few feet from my desk at work:

Demeter Stack

joker has nailed it: refined tube tone, not too much of that loose boomy bottom end, nice and tight response on the preamps and the power amp. The only drawback I see to the VTHF 300 is the weight, she's not a featherweight. If someone else were carrying my stuff, I'd have one in a heartbeat. The cabs are pretty damn impressive too!

Really looking forward to the new all-in-one head (HBP-1 & 600 watt mosfet power section in one), should be killer, according to the info I'm getting. I'm glad I suggested that to Adam @ Demeter...

;)

8. Yea Gard, it's expensive but not stupid expensive. I've used some hi-fi tube amps ( made for home stereo ) just to play around with and I know the sound you're talking about. To my ears it is just as tight and clean as a good SS amp but with an added dimension to the sound. Probably can't be measured with today’s measuring tools.

and as always.................

9. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I'm very pleased with my HBP-1 :)

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US

I hate you...I'm Trace Elliot green with envy!

Seriously, though, a Demeter power amp came up on eBay a while back, but at the time, I had just invested in a whole bunch of other gear, so I couldn't afford it. It ended up going for like $1300 bucks... :crying:

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    WHAT THE??!?!?!???!?

when was this introduced?!?!?!?!??

INFO, GARD, PLEEZ!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: