Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter Tube Bass Preamp, how does it sound? Worth the $$$?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twilightcall, Jun 18, 2004.

1. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Hey guys! How does the Demeter Tube Bass Pre Amp Sound? I will playing a Thunderbird and Stingray through it. I mainly play alternative/modern rock. Does it respond well to fast fills/runs? Does it get booming bottom end? Please let me know your thoughts. Is it worth the $$$? Thanks.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I own a new VTBP-201s. Its clear crisp and clean. Its dynamic response is IMO amazing so yes it does respond very well to fast playing. The EQ is minimal and is not designed to modify your sound a lot. It doesnt have a lot of tube-like mushiness that many look for in a tube preamp. Its actually clearer then some solid state preamps Ive tried. I feel its worth the money. Some think it is lacking in lows but Im not one of them. I can get booming bass out of mine. Try a search and you will find a lot about the Demeter pre.

3. Awesome.
    Yes, it is very quick sounding. I'm not sure it would be my first choice for modern rock however.
    Nope.
    Yes.

4. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    The one I am looking at is a 201 with a black face and it appears to take up to rack spaces. From some of the pics I found in the search there is a 201s that has a silver/aluminum face. I am not sure if there is a diff. in sound but I thought I would mention it.

What would be your first choice for modern rock/alternative?
    I really do want a shake the floors bass rumble but I still want it to come through the mix, and still maintain the sounds of my Basses. I don't want the pre amp to take away from my bass. I want it to maintain the integrity of my basses actual tone.

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Check out the Alembic F1-X and the Kern preamps. I hear they have a fatter thicker sound.

6. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Ok, Thanks for the info. I was really excited about the Demeter as I heard that they sound great through PA and the soundman has no problem mixing it correctly. This was one of my main reasons as I have had all sorts of soundmen have problems with getting a nice bass sound. I would like it to blend very well with the band. Thanks Again. I will check them out.

7. aguilar.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Your system sound with the dem and a power amp will depend a whole lot on what speaker cab(s) you use.

I play straight up rock, classic rock, hard rock, country, and occasionally a little jazz.
    The dem's do have a tube sound, but it is pretty clean and fast. With my Berg HT322 and SR5 I can get ooodles of strong, powerful, articulate low-end (I use the SR5's bass control). Really cranking the volume, gives a more tubey OD tone with the Berg's. Good tubes will improve the sound over the stock tubes.

Versatility is another consideration; there are alot of pre's that are more versatile than the dem 201...

I love the sound I get with it in my system.

Would I sometimes like more versatility? Yes.

I'm thinking of trading my rig for a Mesa Boogie M-2000 (talk about versatility!!!).

If you can afford an Ag DB680 or Read Purity or Glockenklang Bass Art, those would probably be your 1st tier.
    Ampeg SVP-Pro (or SVP-CL) or Ag DB659 or BBE BMax-T (or the SS BBE BMax) would be next, but I would check them all out.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not?

Pat Dalheimer of Live has used an all Demeter rig for the past couple of years, and i love his live tone.

btw, try www.basstasters.com

pick the bass closest to yours, and enjoy. :cool:

10. plankspanker04

plankspanker04 Guest

May 6, 2004
    keller texas

11. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks. I will look for one. I think I want to give it a try. I have heard tones of + comments on them. Thanks Again.

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Last night at practice I decided to crank the bass knob on my VTBP preamp to see what I could get out of it. It sounded huge through my Berg 210. No shortage of lows here. Man I was loving the clean low end plus there is lots of high end zing to be had. Very snappy when I slap my jazz bass... I also tried my friends Stingray. It sounded extremely fast, agressive, and midrangey. I also tried a newer Rickenbacker and the sustain and growl was immaculate. I dont feel this preamp lacks in any frequency range. I like it more and more all the time. :bassist:

13. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks for trying that for me Metron. That is exactly what I needed to know. Do you have the older black face version or the newer version that I think is one rack space? Thanks Again.