Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter VHTF 300M vs. Aguilar DB728

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabbass, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    Anybody tried them in comparison?
    What are the main differences in tone?
    I have a Demeter VTBP 201 S preamp and a QSC PLX 1602 with my Fbass BN5 and BNF5 but I'm searching for more warmth and depth in my sound, keeping an hi fi tone...I like to hear the real tone of my basses...

...Let me know...

2. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Demeter, but I love my DB728. It has lots of the warmth and depth you're asking for. I wouldn't describe it as "hifi" sounding however. It's character is closest to a vintage SVT. Have you tried different tubes in your preamp?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    its almost impossible to try both at once. Ive tried them both seperately and both sounded fantastic. I would lean toward the aggie for the extra watts, the ability to drive a 2 ohm load, and reports of their customer service being better than demeter's at the moment.

4. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    yes, maybe aguilar is more warm, but demeter more hi-fi ?
    do you think so ?
    my cabs are @ 4 ohm together, so no problem for not 2 ohm of demeter...
    I'd like to try them, but here in Italy isn't possible...there are no demeter dealer and about aguilar I should must go to Milan at Basszone ( aguilar dealer) : 4 hours by car from my home!!
    Really not good...
    What about the cost? Aguilar is more expensive, I think...

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That you should find out for yourself - the prices in the US and in Europe differ. Sometimes, not just a little... :(

6. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    yes, you are agree...at this moment for us is very convenient to buy in USA directly...
    but I think to buy demeter power amp...

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I really like the tone of the demeter, it's a great combination of hifi and super warm. I played through one of their rigs, VTBP-201, VHTF 300, and 2 of the 3x10's and the sound was phenomenal. I mean it should be, for that kind of cash!!

Also, the 201, and the HBP-1 were designed to be used with the 300m. Not to say the Aggie wouldn't sound great with your pre, but using preamps and poweramps that were designed together has a certain logic to it. It's tough if you can't check them both out together, but in that case, I'd go with the Demeter. You definitely won't be disappointed with the sound.

Also, I've never had any problem whatsoever with Demeter customer service. Adam and James have bent over backwards to help me out. They've gone above and beyond the call of duty for me in the past.

good luck!

Jake
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    What are you using for cabs?

9. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    yes, I will get demeter power amp, I think it's the only way to have warmth and hi-fi together.
    now, I'm playing with two A.T.S. 2x10 cabs, they come from Italy, www.atsitaly.com, they are very good cabs but now I need different kind of cabs: I want to buy the Dem cabs, one 3x10 and one 2x12x8, so I will have all Dem bass system.
    I think it's the best for me now.
    Adam is a great good man! I emailed and phoned to him, and I never was disappointed with him...really a good man...speaking with him about Italian soccer team!
    ....and about bass gear too !!!

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I played the rig in the demeter booth last year at winter NAMM, it was a VTBP > VHTF > 310 & 212 cabs. Tha was one of the two absolute best sounding rigs at the show.

I was at NAMM working for accugroove, and was also looking for a new preamp or head, so I played everything I could get my hands on, and the Demeter rig really blew everything else away.

The other rig I couldn't seem to peel myself away from was a Millenia origin preamp > Demeter VHTF > AccuGroove Whappo jr. and Tri 112 That setup was in the Joey G. guitars booth. I kept coming back to play it every day!

cheers, and good luck.