Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DEMETER-vs-DEMETER

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, May 18, 2004.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo,
    I really need your help and suggestion because I have to decide between Demeter VTBP 201 and Demeter HBP1.

I had the chance to try the 201 only ( I live in Italy....):
    I found it perfect for both my Fodera and my Jazz, while I still needed something more colourfull and flexible like my Eden Navigator to make my Quantum Fretless sound the way I want to.

So here's my questions:

do you think that HBP1 could do both the things I need:
    a) purity and HiFi for my Fodera
    b) flexibility for my Modulus
    ????????????????????????

or should I keep my Eden for the Modulus and take the VTBP 201 for my Fodera?

Is the HBP1 pure and HI-Fi as the VTBP?
    Is the HBP1 so much more flexible than the VTBP?

Help!
    Thank You! :)

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I was in your position a few months ago and chose the VTBP-201s. I A/Bd the two preamps and had a hard time deciding. They sound similar but I thought the tone of the VTBP-201s was a little nicer. Honestly I really considered the HBP because of the EQ flexibility but decided against it because I hate messing with EQ all the time and that was what I was dong in the store. I couldnt find anything in the EQ of the HBP that made me like it better. Also the VTBP has a jensen DI out which I use all the time. If you want the EQ options the HBP would probably be better. I chose the VTBP because of its simplicity and also for the jensen DI.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FME,

the VTBP is a very clear, hifi sound that imparts a cool "glow" about your sound.

the HBP has a clear hifi sound, too, but its a bit more "woody" and taut.

if you're happy with using the active EQ on your bass, then the VTBP is the obvious choice.

if you wanna have flexibility for shaping your sound for any room, or any dense stage mix, looking for your own sonic niche, then the HBP is the clear choice.

but when it comes down to it, in a loud stage, you're not gonna hear the differences btwn the two amps. if you do small trio's, jazz, acoustic settings, you prolly will.

btw do a search on the forum, and you'll find we've beaten this over time and again.

4. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank You very much for your replies.

At this moment, I would go with the HBP1 that I hope would allow me to do everything with only one preamp and to make some money from my Eden navigator.

I'll do a search on this forum anyway.

5. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have used the HBP-1 for about the last year. The tone is very Hi-Fi. Crisp, clear, clean, rich, detailed. It brings out the nuances of tonewoods. In case you can't tell, I love it. :hyper:

I'm running it into a PLX-1202 and 2 Eden 210xlts. This rig is THUNDEROUS. I'm sure it could do a bit better with a 1602, but it sounds great. It has heavy duty clear bottom, and crystal clear highs.

I leave the parametric EQ out when I'm playing my Roscoe and switch it in when I'm playing my passive Jazz bass. I find this works well. You can also set up the parametric to be a "Booty switch". I've had good results with this when I want a different EQ for a particular song. Think of it as a B channel. I've never found the shelving EQ to be inadequate, it's just that the parametric gives added flexibility. BTW, the DI on the HBP-1 is also fantastic.

I would also mention that this pre does NOT distort or grind in proportion to the volume. If you are looking for grind, look elsewhere. This thing takes what you give it and makes it louder - Period.

Another trick I learned here, was to always use the passive input and turn down the output of your active basses if you can. It gives a little bit clearer signal to the pre.

When it comes down to it, you can't go wrong with either one, but I recommend the HBP-1.....naturally.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

6. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    IMHO get the HBP-1 :) I've had mine for about 6 months.

GrooveSlave is dead on describing this preamp.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    kinda funny how James doesnt include the Jensen DI out on the HBP, no?

cause then it'd rool like ozzy... ;)

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hope this isn't "spam" but I have a basically new HBP-1 still for sale for 150 off the new price....it's in the classifieds, if you are interested.

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :smug:

10. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

Not sure what it has to do with ozzy :confused:
    Good question, Do you know why ?

I run mine direct to the FOH with no issue's.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I think he didnt put a jensen transformer in the HBP to keep the cost down but Im pretty sure you can order an HBP from Demeter with the jensen.

I wonder what the jensen adds to the sound if anything at all. Has anyone compared the balanced outs of the two units?

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    My VTBP-201 didn't have the Jensen, and I almost special ordered my 800 to have the upgraded Jensen DI when I realized it would probably be better to just add a Radial JDI and not worry if the fuse in my amp craps out mid gig... I think the cost was about the same, too. ;)

13. I enquired about this at Demeter and was told this is not possible. The VTB and HBP are distinctly different designs. So I gave up on this idea.

In the end I chose the HBP-1 based on the input I got from Adam at Demeter. He seemed like an unbiased and knowledgeable employee. He said he had both and would take the HBP-1 most of the time on gigs. He likes the eq flexibility. Only when he knew the venue would he take the VTB.

One other thing is the line level output. The HBP-1 drives the output to full line level, whereas the VTB has a lower level. This may be important if you need a certain level for any particular power amp.

I've been pretty happy with my HBP-1. The only other pre I'd consider is the Jack Read Bass Purity. I like the ideas of configuring the eq as a booty boost setting, which can be used or not with toggle of the switch.

... Mark

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting, net...

when i had my VTBP, it sounded like it was always overdriving at certain notes, notably anything below the low E. no matter the bass, passive or active, in either passive or active input, anything over 3 on the Dem's volume knob, and i'd get a weird farting that only went away when i lowered the gain in my bass. guess james has been trying to solve that.

hmm...