Demeter vs. Epifani 310?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Nov 21, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do these compare/differ?
    There is quite a bit of a difference when it comes to powerrating. Is that noticable?
    How loud can they get?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search here on the forum, and you'll see reviews i did for both.

but short story:

overall, i found the Demeter 3x10 to be very dark and smooth. low B sounded excellent. fat and huge. tonally detailed, but sometimes very dark. also, the tweeter seemed non-existent on mine. i called James to see if mine was defective, but we ran thru it, and it was fine. seemed like no matter where i turned the knob, i never really could hear it. but from 10 ft. out, the detail and high end were VERY apparent. very strange, but still a cool cab. my experiences is with a Demeter 3x10 i owned about a year ago, so dunno how James might have changed the design since that time.

i've played many an Epifani 3x10 at the shop, and also own an Epifani 3x10 ultralite. in both i can tell that against the Demeter, the Epifani's are clearer, and more open sounding. much more airy sense. translates into incredible detail that the Demeter could only hope for. low end is punchie and faster feeling than the Demeter, yet maybe not quite as low, but still handled the Low B more than aptly. tweeter is a bit more veratile, cause its more apparent, but because its high end quality, doesnt give you that "detached" hi end feeling, like say, in an SWR cab. btw, for a review of each Epifani cab, again, do a search, and you'll see my rambling on the topic.

both the Demeter and Epifani are LOUD as heck, tho the edge goes to the Epifani for the added upper end detail. still, i doubt you'd have any problem hearing yourself. i use my Epi in loud funk rock trio, and if i choose to, i could bury anyone onstage. :p but if you're doing anything close to metal, i'd get two. that's if you've got the MAD moolah.

also, the weight of the Demeter isnt bad when it comes to 3x10's, cause its only 63 lbs. the Epifani "regular" felt a bit heavier. but they both dont compare at all to my ultralite, which is light like a feather.

FYI, i sold the Demeter after about 5 months of ownership. with the Epifani, i highly doubt its going anywhere soon.

k, i'm really tired, and i'm out.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks, Joker!
    I´ll keep my eyes open for a used Epifani.
    I was leaning that way myself.