Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter-vs-WalterWoods???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, May 28, 2004.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo,
    I'm going to change my amp.
    I've tryed both Demeter+QSC1450 and WalterWoods stereo, but I did it in different times........I couldn't do the A/B test.

I found the Walter Woods much more versatile an a little bit rounder and deeper; but I know some people who say that Demeter+QSC (or Stewart 1.2) is more Hi-fi and cleaner....

....please, those of You who know very well this 2 amps, let me know your experience, taste, choice...etc,etc...

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Geez, how about the difference in weight of about 45 pounds!!!!

Once I got a WW I gave up on heavier amp rigs. An amp would have to sound mind-blowingly fantastic to make me even think of switching.

What's your style of music and what kind of gigs do you play? I play a lot of small venues where a WW head and small cab (usually 1-12) is so much easier to deal with compared to bulkier rigs.

I also often double on EBG and DB so the two channel preamp of the WW is a huge plus.

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi brianrost and thank for your reply.

I certainly agree with you when you talk about weight and versatilty: I prefer WW too from these points of view, of course.

What I was wondering about is a strict comparison of the tones of these two amps

I play in a fusion quintet, a jazz trio and a jazz bigband.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I love my Walter Woods Ultra. 1200 watts at 7 pounds, can't beat that. I gave up carrying around heavy power amps, my back isn't what it used to be. The WW is a real joy to move around, I have a little gig bag for it that I can sling over my shoulder. It's easy to carry the bass, the amp, and a small speaker all at once. Portability is a good thing.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I greatly prefer the Walter Woods Ultra to the Demeter 201S/Stewart 2.1 rig I was using prior. Not just for convenience, weight, etc., either. The Woods also sounds better. A LOT better! ;)

6. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Quick question, not to sidetrack this thread, but where do you get WW products, and how much do they go for?

7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    wow, can't beat that is right...I definitely have something to shoot for.

Marshall

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    did you ever post a comparison of the two? im familiar with the demeter but have never heard a woods.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can a WW drive three epi cabs with enough power to do them justice? Say a 110, 112 and 115? I'd be very interested in going the Mike Pope route and just plugging straight into the effects return. I really want to keep my bass sound as clean as possible with little to no coloration from the pre amp.

How are WW's for recording?

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    What is it about the WW that makes it sound a lot better?

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Taking into consideration the total subjectivity of terms like "better" and "a lot," the Walter Woods Ultra has more clarity, is warmer sounding and has less noise than the Demeter/Stew.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nope, I don't believe I have. See above for short thumbnail comparison.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A WWU is designed for a 4 ohm minimum load. So, no, you can't safely drive three 8 ohm cabs with it.

The DI is excellent for recording; very low noise.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not to throw you off course even more,

but how about an EA iAMP800? it weighs less than the Demeter/QSC combo @ 18 lbs., and has about as hifi or warm tone, depending on EQ, as any amp i've used. high marks!

then there's always Epifani's new 900UL head, which is in the same weight range, yet sounds undeniably sweet~! cant wait to get my hands on that guy.

and of course, not to be left behind, Acoustic Image has recently annoucned their "Focus" amp, which weighs about 4.5 lbs., yet slams 600 watts. i own the 300 watt Clarus, and its tone is quite nice.

FYI,

try www.basstasters.com and listen to the samples recorded via the DI out. should be a good mark of what you're looking for, and the sounds each amp produces.

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That sounds like it might be the ticket for me. But what about headroom? Does it feel lacking at all? I do place a lot of credence in your reviews. ;)

16. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I never had the chance to try an EuphonicAudio amp: I think that they do not even exist here in Italy..... :(
    While there's the Fodera dealer in Italy (www.woodandtronics.com) who is going to sell Epifani stuff also: if I won't have a WalterWoods at that time, I will try some Epifani amp of course.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No lack of headroom with the WWU at all, Jerry. In fact, since I've owned mine, I don't believe I've used anything else on a single gig! And that includes outdoor stages where I was using a Bergantino stack. These days, the only thing that would keep me from taking the WWU on a gig is if it's uncovered, after dark and outside where dew might be a factor. Then I'll use a rack system just so I don't get the lil' feller wet! ;)

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's good enough for me. ;)

There might be some stuff going up for sale here pretty soon. I just wish that there wasn't such a wait on these. :bawl:

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Best of luck, bro!
    :cool:

20. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I cant imagine anything being more clear then the VTBP and Im not sure that I would like that. It might be too clear as it is. Im sure WW is great but its just too much $$$. I guess Ill stick with what I have! :D :bassist: