Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter VTB question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm in the process of potentially working a deal for an older (black face) Demeter VTB and I did a search and found some info on it (specifically, its tonal characteristics). From what I have read, it seems that it possesses very clear, defined high end (great for slapping, which I do quite a bit), but not so much low end.

What would you recommend to remedy this? I have a 31-band Audio Centron EQ that I use in one of my other rigs - would this help matters and do you recommend a separate EQ anyway, given the fact that the VTB does not possess a lot of tone-shaping capability?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have the new VTBP and I think they are similar. I dont find it to be lacking in lows so much but the EQ is definitely minimal. I dont know about a 31 band though... I like having the light eq because I like the sound of my bass and I usually only adjust for different rooms. I think having a crazy EQ would take something away from the sound as opposed to adding to it but Im just speculating. I think you should head down to guitarx in broadway if you can and try the VTBP. If you like it then the VTB will be a good pre for you.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I agree with metron, going EQ crazy would take away from the Demeters strong points.

Boulder, all of your basses appear to good enough to make all EQ adustments from the insturment. I dont think you would need a seperate EQ.

If things dont work out, and you got a good deal on the Demeter, you could always put it on the used on market. The older Demeters always seem to sell on the used market. I second the motion that you will love this pre.

4. I don't use the EQ much on the Demeter, either. The lows don't seem lacking to me at all, but the top end is very open and transparent sounding.

Mike

5. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Good deal - thanks for the comments, all!

This would at least free up the EQ for my PA rack.

6. I have the 201s and I agree with Gstring and the others. I like minimal eq, it's just seems to complicate things for me.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Trust me, there's no lack of lows on the Demeter. I think that's a common misconception. Probably due to the average joe trying the preamp w/ everything set at 12 o clock.

The presence knob is boost only, so that setting is yields a bright top or perhaps even a percieved lack of lows.

I've done hundreds of gigs w/ the Dem w/ dozens of bands and I could probably count on one hand that times that I've turned the bass knob past 12 or 1 o clock. I usually cut it more often than not.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I have a black face Demeter and I agree with everyone else that you should have enough bass. I tend to have bass and middle at 12:00, treble cut to about 9:00, and a little bit of presence (@ 2KHZ) at 9:00, but it depends on the room. The bass frequency select knob also makes a difference - some people find that setting it to 120 Hz sounds fuller. I've used both settings depending on where I'm playing with good results. I don't think you'll need additional EQ.

Marshall

9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have heard a few folks on this site say they thought the Demeter's lows were a little shy but I've never found that. I get plenty of low end (by the way, very useable low end) out of mine. It's also a very, very responsive sounding pre-amp. And they're built like tanks. I have a VTB201s in by rack along with a Kern. They are different sounding pre's that each have specific strengths that I look for in specific situations.

Good luck with whatever you get.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    exactamundo.

I usually set the bass to 60Hz and either leave it flat or cut just a hair. If I need more bass I use my SR5's bass control (40Hz) which is hardly ever; I sometimes cut it a little as well.

Make sure it has a smooth-sounding tube in the gain/tone position (on the left-hand side as you face the front of the pre).

11. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    I never did end up getting this, unfortunately. Dude flaked out on me. :(

I did, however, snag an old Ashly BP41 (in great condition) that I like a lot. Very transparent preamp.