Demeter VTBP-201 Power Amp Conversion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bucephylus, Jan 13, 2015.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    i just received one of these conversions back from James & Co today. It is freaking fantastic sounding. Sitting on top of a Berg AE212, the rig kind of sounds like a miniature SVT. Has that "grunt" if you know what I mean.

The amp does get warm.

I'm interested to hear if any other TB'ers are gigging one of these conversions, and whether you have run into any thermal issues. No fan and a real 800 W sounds to me like something's gotta give. Hope I'm wrong.

2. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Still seeking some TB experience on this.

3. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I have only noticed one guy here using a converted 201 and one other guy with a more recently released 201S+power section.
    I would take the question over to the main VTBP-M-800D thread as I have seen the guy with the 201 posting there (plus a couple of folks that might know a bit about heat issues).

4. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks.

Yes, I found a discussion in that thread about the thermal behavior somewhere mid last year; though the situation just seemed to go away without any particular resolution. Guess I'll just start gigging the thing and see what happens.

5. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Does Demeter install a power amp inside the old style 201, the 1 1/2 rack space model? Mosfet or Class D?

6. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Yes, he does. That's what I have. It is Class D. Hits like a ton of bricks.

MR PC likes this.
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Pretty sure the vast majority of the class D amps are mosfet based in their output stages, may be 100% of them, but not sure.

MR PC likes this.
  8. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I am way impressed by this amp. I've mounted it in a 3U rack bag along with a Furman PL Tuner; and it is great for my purposes. Monster.

Another question for Demeter users: I am finding the tone best when I put my active bass, which is extremely hot, directly into the High input with no pad. This does not seem to over drive the input and gives max tone. Are any of you using the Low input? If so, why?

9. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Yes, most Demeter users agree that the High input provides the best tone and it can handle extremely hot signals. I have active Warwick basses with 18v Aguilar preamps and I plug into the High input with no issues either. I have honestly never read about anyone having to use the Low input due to having too hot of an output from their bass.

bucephylus likes this.
  10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks!

11. tminus10

tminus10 On a mission from God

May 1, 2011
    Ridin' the rails
    I'll have a VTBP-201 on Monday and then plan on having the same thing done to mine. What was the wait time?

Glad to hear you love it

12. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Mine was done over the holidays; so, probably not a good indicator. But, seems like 2 - 3 weeks was about max. James gets right on it. You won't believe your ears. TONE.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021