1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Demeter VTBP-201 Preamp FLAT Settings ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Clef, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hi, was wondering if anyone knows or can confirm what the flat settings are on these preamps (old 1.5 rackspace model).

The tones controls are passive so I'm assuming it is similar to how the Alembic F1-X is ie, 2-10-2. Is this correct??

Any help would be very appreciated.

BTW, I have tried searching but couldn't really find anything which was clear.

Thanks.

2. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I asked James once via email and it is copied below.
    _________
    Date: 26 October 2006 17:44:07 BST
    To:XXXXXX
    Subject: Re: Flat Setting VTBP-201 1.5 U

The Demeter it is brite off, treble 4, mid 10, bass 6, presence off, bass
    switch 120.
    _________

You know of course that the EQ is defeatable, and you can try to get it close using your ears. The settings given by James don't really sound flat to me (compared to EQ off) but they sure sound sweet.

3. Thanks for that.

Not sure if the EQ is defeatable on the one I saw. It is an old 98'-99' 1.5 unit model ??

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you visit "fdeck"'s website, you can download software that you can use to measure the frequency response and see in graphic form where "flat" is.

There's a sample in the white paper he wrote on his GK Backline 600 amp.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/#projects

5. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Oh sorry ....I was referring to the DI, which has a pre /post EQ - and since my VTBP201 1.5U is permanently in my studio I have used that as a basis of comparison. I've had two of these, and the one I still have is a very early one, based on the knobs, internal transformer, and some conversations with the Demeter people.