Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter VTBP-201 Tube Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ArchBass, Jan 20, 2001.

1. I have read the Bass Player magazine review about this preamp and they scored it 4.5 out of 5. I was curious to see if anyone knows more or had an opinion about this preamp? Also is this more of a professional piece of equuipment?

Just looking at equipment for the future.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I use a VTBP-201 and think it is the best sounding preamp made. I also own and use a Trace V-Type and an Alembic F-1X. They sound good but no other preamp I've tried can match the clarity and detail I get with the Demeter. The Aguilar DB 659 comes close but I still prefer the Demeter.

Chuck

3. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I played it not too long ago in a music store, and I am starting my new rig with it. It has huge tone. Question to Chuck? Do you get as much tone shaping as the alembic f1-x, or is the tone on the demeter that much better? What style do you play? Which is better for a funk-like tone?
    cameron

[Edited by camerondye on 01-23-2001 at 07:20 AM]

4. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Alembic has a much greater EQ range than the Demeter and I sometimes use it when a room needs more than the Demeter can give me. However, I use the Demeter probably 25 times for each single use of the Alembic.

The Demeter is great for any style (I play jazz)and it is the best for funk IMHO. I've not heard another Preamp that has the clarity and attack of the Demeter.

Chuck

5. Chuck,

I'm curious to know if you checked out the Kern 777 and how you would compare it to the Demeter.

6. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Jim,

I have not seen a Kern. It may sound great, however, I will not buy one because of the wall wart power supply. That much bread and you get a wall wart?

Chuck

7. Nope, no wallwart on my Kern! I ordered mine with a built in power supply and ground lift switch for no extra charge. It was done in about two weeks and cost the same as a regular Kern.

8. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Yes, but how does it sound against the demeter?
    cam

9. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Im lost.after decades of having active early stingrays,Pedullas etc.I picked up a Lakland 55/63 Prototype.Its my first single coil,passive bass!(Jazz set up)I want to get a pre amp,and thought of the trace V-type,alembic,or demeter.Any reccomendations?I own a wide range of amps.From BLX to baby blue to 69SVT.Thanks

10. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    But whichever one I finally get,it has to be QUIET.