1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DEMETER VTBP-201s HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WalMk1Guy, Oct 10, 2019.

1. WalMk1Guy

WalMk1Guy Commercial User

Oct 10, 2019
    Hi All,

I've recently bought a demeter vtbp-201s, which was shipped from the US to the UK.

I plugged an IEC lead into it, turned it on (at 240v). Here's what happened:

Green and red light flashed....then no power.

The fuse looks ok (i think). So wondering if anyone could recommend any solutions.

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    U.S. version, if that's what you have, would have been configured for 120 Volts. Some amps and pres can be switched over for different power by installing a different fuse and/or moving a switch and/or a jumper but I don't know if the 201S is among these.

Your first course of action now, though, would seem to be to take it to a qualified tech to determine what, if any, damage has been done to the pre. Don't plug it in or try to run it again meanwhile. I suppose you could also pop the top off (and take some photos) to see if anything obvious presents itself.

Perhaps @JKDemeter will have some insight for you -or you might try contacting the company directly. If the pre can be converted for 240 V, I'm not sure what would be involved.

Bonne chance.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Welcome to Talkbass.

On the extreme left of the rear panel, a red voltage selector can clearly be seen. Assuming yours was set to 240v before operation, it seems that the unit has previously suffered some internal damage during shipping. No doubt that is all pretty obvious. Hope you get it sorted soon. That is a great preamp.

http://www.demeteramps.com/manuals/vtbp201susersguide.pdf

4. WalMk1Guy

WalMk1Guy Commercial User

Oct 10, 2019
    Hi all,

Really appreciate the help. Here’s some photos of the inside.

I would have thought that if it has a volt switcher then it’s perfectly fine to run in the uk?

@JKdemeter, your help would be much appreciate.

Attached Files:

5. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    In my humble opinion, visual inspection will not yield much, though it is beautifully crafted.

I feel certain Demeter has certified technicians in the UK. Even if such a person were to view the above photos, there is not much they would learn beyond the absence of any evidence of excess heat or physical trauma. Such is usually the case with our audio devices. :cool:

I would contact Demeter to learn where you might have it serviced near your location. As I'm sure you know, the unit needs to be put on an instrumented bench, tested against its specifications, diagnosed, and repaired.

6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Just a thought—might you test the fuse itself, perhaps in another device that requires the same fuse?

7. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Ah, I had an old, 1.5U "Innovative Audio" 201 (non-"S") pre. Don't recall a voltage switch on that one, but I might just be forgetting it.

Might running at 240 Volts still require a different fuse? I want to say that some amps are this way but, again, I might be mis-remembering.

In any case, it seems that the pre is able to run on UK voltage, but I'd still check it out/have it checked out before trying to fire it up again. Might be worthwhile to verify that the tubes are good, too.

EDIT: Not sure how often James Demeter is on TB these days. It might be worthwhile to contact him directly, via email or by phone (if you're okay with an international call and account for the time difference).

Jim Carr likes this.