Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter VTBP-201S Noise ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, May 26, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

I've got a Demeter VTBP-201S which produces a slight amount of distortion. I think it might be sending a too hot signal. I've tried with a different set of tubes and it still makes some distortion. I was wondering if someone could tell me where the master volume can be controlled. I've heard there should be an internal trim pot, where is this exactly placed, I couldn't find it when I had it opened. Also, what else could cause this distortion, it is very audible on low levels and gets more noticable when turning up the high frequencies...thanks :meh:

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i had that problem with my last VTBP. worked fine in every other way, but the whole time, felt like i sending it too hot a signal.

course, the guys at Demeter couldnt give a rat's butt, thusly, i sold it. :meh:

hopefully, you'll have better luck than me. :rollno:

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Do you have the volume on the pre cranked? Thats the only time I have heard the signal break up. Usually I keep the volume at 3:00 max and I never encounter anything but crisp clear sound. :cool:

4. Same with me, clear, warm and full of bottom, without any problems.

Jure

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    trust me guys,

i know exactly what JC is going thru, and its not with the volume knob perse.

when i had mine, i had to lower the internal gain almost down to 9:00. unforunately by then, the tone became rather small and wimpy.

JC,

try emailing the shop. hopefully, their customer service has improved over the years.

6. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    If that's the one I bought from you joker I'm not hearing the same problem. I get nothing but sweet, clear musical sound out of it unless I intentionally overdrive it a bit for some grind. But your ears may be a little better than mine are, years of cymbal crashes will do that to one's hearing.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My 201 is the cleanest preamp I've ever had!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LOL!

thank goodness its working ok for you!!! :bag: :D

but i remember someone mentioning that this only happened with Stewart power amps which i regularly use, which were more susceptible to this problem...

9. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've sent it to a tech today, I'll let you know how it goes, I've emailed demeter as well, but still haven't heard from them...

10. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Hmm, I'm using a stew 1.2 with it so maybe it's only a matter of time before I start seeing the problem also. So far i'm lovin' it though. (knocks on wood). This did get me thinking though so I went and set everything up and played for a while at silly volume levels. Still didn't notice it, clean as can be.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    One problem I had was the tubes that came in the unit went bad real fast. Like within three weeks. They made a hissy static sound that could be heard with nothing coming through the speakers. I didnt notice much difference in the sound of the bass though. I took it back to where I bought it to show the guy and he got in touch with them. I had new tubes in the mail in a few days and havent had a problem since.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    whew,

avoided that train wreck... ;)

was prolly my rig in some weird way. bad power maybe? NYC apartments arent the most nicely wired places in the world, ya know.

13. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    This is why I sold my 201s and bought an Avalon U5. :)

Incredible headroom, beautiful shimmering tone, juicy luscious warmth, and no quirkiness at all. It sounds so good that I'm not motivated to go out and change the tubes, cuz there aren't any. And Avalon doesn't ignore you when you have a post-purchase question.

Nightbass

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Have to agree regarding Demeter's poor service. I've still got a 201S but the experience was so negative dealing with Demeter that I really don't enjoy using the preamp and will probably get around to selling it soon. And I won't own anymore of THAT brand of gear in the future. :spit:

15. My 201S works great, and sound great. I did put some NOS Telefunken tubes in it which I like a lot. I have never had any problem with Demeter customer service and have spoken with Jim several times. He's right to the point and that's fine with me. He was very sure I was pleased with my purchase and even made a call to see if my card got credited after trying a H series and sending it back for credit. I actually turned up my internal gain pot on my pre to about 2 o'clock and it works for me.

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Where is the internal gain pot? My 201s is fine but I'd like to know where it is just in case.

17. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    i've just had my Demeter with a tech, he took a frequency test and it showed that the high frequencies are about 10db louder than the lower frequencies, which seems very strange. This is probably what has caused the distortion in the high freg. region. I've mailed James Demeter and waiting for his reply, i'll let you know.

18. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    By the way, Nightbass, that Avalon U5, how do you place in a standard 19" rack, it seems very small and how many units will it take?

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you can order a pair of avalon designed rack ears. it takes up two spaces. got mine from Sweetwater.

took a page from Nightbass, and am using the avalon for my own Acme B-4/Stewart rig, and it blows the doors off of the Demeter. who knew it uses no tubes, too!? :cool:

tones are sooooo much sweeter and smoother. literally UNREAL. and you can use it for a variety of instruments. from my acoustics, to my bass, to my bud's keys. prolly the best investment i made in a long time.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    open up the chassis, and you should see the white arrow like knob inside the unit. you cant miss it.