Demeter VTBP-201S Preamp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cods, Nov 25, 2003.

1. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i've done a search in the archives, but i haven't found the information i wanted.

is it a "good" preamp?

what is it's "sound"?

is it good for gigging/recording?

tell me anything else about it that i would need to know.
  2. Do a search of the forum.

I own one and love it. It is clear and will let the true sound of your bass, and technique, come through. Easy to use, no parametric EQ, and records well.
    There are a lot of "good preamps", just a matter of taste.

Check out for more.
  3. cods

Sep 16, 2003

i have done a forum search, but i didn't find the exact information i wanted.
  4. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    cods, You may want to due another search. When I was on my quest for a tube preamp I found alot of great info here regarding the Demeter preamp. I ended up with a Demeter HBP-1 because of the added eq that the 201S does not have. Both are great preamps. I'm very happy with my purchase. Soundman for our group is happy and that's a good thing.

Good Luck :cool:
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You can hear it, and many other preamps, at

I tried the Demeter preamps and, while they were both great, they just weren't my sound. It's a very hifi sound, great clarity. I'm more of an Aguilar / Alembic guy.
  6. 201s owner here. Everything mentioned here is correct. Clear, easy to use, excellent construction, great DI (jensen transformer)and sound guys/gals love it. I had a H series with the parametric eq and sent it back. I didn't find it easy to use, but I'm not real patient about tweaking either. I found the 201s to be more to my liking tone wise especially, although the H was very pleasing too. I ended up with a Walter Woods Ultra as my alternate rig. Both are Superb!

201s does not have much e.q. so be aware of that.
    Also, the master volume is actually a master trim pot inside the unit that come preset from Demeter. I found this a bit weird at first, but I adjusted it to were I liked it with my rig and am very happy.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    1. No. It's a great preamp.

2. Its sound is essentially what you feed it although it does tend to have more clarity and be more transparent than many bass preamps. This is often refered to as a "modern" sound.

3. No. It's great for gigging/recording.

I use mine with a Stewart 2.1 and Bergantino HT322 and it's my favorite rig.
  8. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    thanks guys!
  9. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    lol...i feel bad, and thanks.

one things i've read is that the e.q. isn't that powerful, do you think it would be just as/more powerful(or effective) than my the e.q. on my ampeg b2r?
  10. I'll join in the chorus here:

I love my 201s!

it's comepletely transparent which is exactly what I want and soundmen love it!

sorry I can't comment on the Ampeg comparison...

from the low end,

11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

its all good, bro. guess we've all done it. :meh: :D

but, tho the EQ isnt that powerful, it still sounds glorious. also, if you've got an active onboard EQ, it shouldnt matter too much.
  12. Demeter 201s preamps are excellent. Great clarity and crispness, which makes for good punch.

They aren't voiced quite as deep as the Kern or Alembic, but I've never been able to use more than half the available bass increase to get great warm tones.

P.S. James Demeter makes a great red wine, too.